List:       novalug
Subject:    Re: [novalug] HDTV capture and recording
From:       Michael Henry <drmikehenry () drmikehenry ! com>
Date:       2005-02-28 22:04:16

>>That was true of the HD-2000 (no longer made), but the HD-3000
>>can receive cable video.
>>
>>Michael Henry
>>

>By "receive cable video":
>   Do you mean that it's capable of TUNING in cable signals and
>selecting channels and decoding them.
>         { Like a fully didital "cable ready" TV and/or VCR. }
>   Or that it has a properly size screw on connactor and can handle to
>output of a cable digital decoder box.
>
>  There is a major difference between the two, the former would more
>then make it worth the price, while the later leaves it highly
>questionable.

Actually, I don't know very much about the card.  I bought it on
speculation that I'd want to try out making a MythTV-based PVR
someday, and I wanted to get in before July 2005, after which time
all cards will have to support the so-called "broadcast flag".
I've not even had it out of the bubble wrap yet :-)

I'd read a number of sites about the HD-3000, and I'd gotten the
impression that the card would handle unencrypted cable channels.
 From what I read, it has a tuner inside.  I found this link:
http://www.byopvr.com/printarticle194.html
which has the following:

> Q: Will the HD-3000 let me watch HD cable?
>
> A: Shortly yes, but right now no. pcHDTV has the micro code that is used
> for decode cable signals. This is what prevented the HD-2000 from
> allowing users to watch HD cable - the HD-2000 card does support QAM,
> but pcHDTV was not able to get the micro code, but this still could
> happen, but don't hold your breath. -- Someone could /guess/ the micro
> code but good luck because you'll need it.
>
> Also, just because you can decode the HD cable does not mean you can
> watch it. You can only watch unencrypted cable. If cable providers
> decide to encrypt signals and then sell special set top boxes that know
> how to decrypt that signal you'll not be able to watch it with the
> HD-3000 card. Whether your cable provider sends plan old QAM or
> encrypted QAM varries greatly. Call your cable provider to know for
> sure (But be aware that the customer service person may just tell you
> yes because that's what they would assume...) Also, only some channels
> could be encrypted and others may not be.
>
> In some markets you could have 0% encrypted, in others it could be 100%.
> Nation wide it's around 70% not 30% is from people I have spoken with.
>
> As for when the HD-3000 card will have QAM support, my personal
> guess (And it is a guess) would be 1-2 months.
>
> Q: Does the HD-3000 have anything else new?
>
> A: Yes, it has composite and svga video in. The audio out for the NTSC
> tuner also has an external jack and it is stereo, as the HD-2000 was
> internal and only mono.

I thought I'd remembered something when I purchased the card that stated
it had a cable-ready tuner inside, but I can't find that directly.  The
above
quote indicates that the card can be upgraded to receive unencrypted
cable, but that it may not have that capability right now.  The quoted
article
was written Nov 08, 2004, but the author claims to be guessing at the
1-2 month
timeframe he mentions for cable tuning support.

Also informative is this site:
http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/cookbook/

So unfortunately I can't authoritatively describe the card's capabilities.
I'd thought it was "cable ready" out of the box, but that was not based
on first-hand experience, and now after some additional Googling I'm
thinking that the card probably doesn't have cable tuning support, at
least out of the box.

Sorry for posting as if I actually had a clue :-/

Michael Henry