List:       novalug
Subject:    [novalug] charset issues
From:       Julia Christianson <juliac () patriot ! net>
Date:       2005-02-27 3:31:30

I'm having a problem with a document I've added html to for someone else.

I've figured out that the problem is, Fedora 3 installed with charset
UTF-8 as the default, but the website uses iso-8859-1.  Thus I save
stuff using vi, but when displayed with the site's standard headers,
some of my characters get replaced by different ones (mostly the
double-quote character, but I think some other characters have problems
too).

I tried to google it, but gee, *every* webpage has 'charset' in it.

I'm curious as to the underlying issue, but I'm on a deadline with this
so my immediate question is how to fix it for this page.

-- Julia