List:       novalug
Subject:    [ma-linux] problems compliling when linking to libraries
From:       Paul Tremblay <phthenry () iglou ! com>
Date:       2005-02-27 0:57:57

I'm having two problems compiling code that I think are due to my
ignorance on linking to libraries.

The first is that I am tring to compile a newer version of the libxslt
library. In order to do so, I need to have the lib2xml library. I
download the lib2xml library, build and install it with no problem. But
when I try to ./configure the libxslt library, I get this error message:

checking for libxml libraries >= 2.6.8... configure: error: Version 2.4.23 found. You \
need at least libxml2 2.6.8 for this version of libxslt

I have tried running the ldconfig tool to update my libraries, but this
doesn't help. I have also tried setting the CPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include
and the LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib, but this doesn't help.

The older libraries reside in /usr/lib, and there is a
/usr/include/lib2xml directory. I have tried mv /usr/iclude/lib2xml
/usr/include/lib2xml_old, just to hid the hold include library, but this
didn't help.

The second problem occurs when I compile and build ImageMagic on the Mac
OS X system. I can configure, make, and install with no error messages.
But when I try to use this with convert image.jpg image.png I get:

convert: no decode delegate for this image format.

I did a search on the web, and found that this error message reslts
because of missing libraries:

"Were did you install libjpeg and libpng? You need to set CPFLAGS and
LDFLAGS"

So I set these variables:

export CPFLAGS=-I/usrl/local/include
export LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib

I ran ./configure again and make and make install and got the same
error.

But I discovered there is a previous version of ImageMagic already on
the computer. This is located in the /sw directory. This directory has
its own lib and its own include. So if I run /sw/bin/convert, I get no
error messages.

In both cases, I am guessing that the compiler is building the library
using older versions in the include. This is just a guess.

Thanks

Paul