List:       novalug
Subject:    [novalug] OT:  Electronics Assembly
From:       Julia Christianson <juliac () patriot ! net>
Date:       2004-06-29 1:35:06

As some of you know, I work for an organization which provides
employment services for people with disabilities.  One of our sister
organizations in Manassas is a small electronics assembly shop --
http://accutek-assemblies.com -- which employs seven people with pretty
severe disabilities, along with several non-disabled workers.  As
components have become much smaller, and a lot of this kind of work is
now shipped offshore, the amount of work available, particularly for the
disabled workers, isn't quite sufficient to keep the place in business.
  If they close, the most likely alternative for these seven people is
to go to a day support center where they will not have anything
challenging to do, and where they will no longer have the opportunity to
be wage-earning, tax-paying citizens, and we hate to see that happen.

So, the question is, does anyone know of any assembly work that might be
steered in AccuTek's direction?  They have done a fairly wide range of
things in the last 18 years
(http://www.accutek-assemblies.com/prdbk.html) and are willing to take
on most anything that is technically and financially feasible.  Replies
can come through me, or directly to the General Manager
judy@accutek-assemblies.com.

Thanks,

-- Julia