List:       novalug
Subject:    Re: [novalug] New User Trying to Connect to the Internet
From:       DonJr <djr1952 () hotpop ! com>
Date:       2004-03-30 21:11:28

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 14:30, Murad Shahid wrote:
> Hi, Thanks for the help earlier.  This is exactly what I have
> performed so far with errors:
>
> 1.  I logged in as root and typed "ifconfig" at the terminal and hit
> enter.  The following appeared,      lo     Link encap: Local Loopback
>
>              inet addr: 127.0.0.1     Mask: 255.0.0.0
>
>              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING      MTU: 16436     Metric: 1
>
>              ...(some other stuff).

Good basic networking is in place.

> 2.  I typed "ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast
> 192.168.1.255" and hit enter.

Why?  If 'eth0' is connected to the "Cable modem" then this is causing
more problems then helping.

> 3.  I typed "ln -s /dev/ttys0  /dev/modem" and hit enter.

Aren't we talking about a Comcast Cable }modem{ connected to the
computer by a Cat-5 cable and a ethernet card?
  The RS-232 device has nothing to do with this type of connection.

> 4.  I typed "route add -net 127.0.0.0" and hit enter.

Why?

> 5.  I typed "setserial -a /dev/modem" and hit enter.  The terminal
> displayed "/dev/modem: Input/output error".

Why? Same question as for 3: above applies.

> 6.  I typed "ifconfig" and hit enter.  The terminal displayed the
> Loopback again, but placed the following above it
>
>      eth0     Link encap: Ethernet     HW addr 00:60:97:D0:3D:76
>
>                  inet addr: 192.168.1.1
>
>                  Bcast: 192.168.1.255
>
>                  Mask: 255.255.255.0
>
>                  Up Broadcast
>
>                  ...(some other stuff).

Well we now know the driver for the 'eth0' device will load an find the
hardware.

> 7.  I next closed the terminal and went to System Tools, Network
> Device Control.  It listed the Status as active, the Device as eth0,
> and the Nickname as eth0.  I click on the Configure button and the
> Network Configuration window appeared.
>
> Network Configuration Window:
>
> In it the Active Profile is common and the Devices tab is the
> default.  Listed in it: under Profile is a check, under Status is
> active, under Device is eth0, under Nickname is eth0, and under Type
> is ethernet.
>
> In the Hosts tab:  IP is 127.0.0.1, Name is localhost.localdomain, and
> Aliases is localhost.
>
> In the Hardware tab:  Description is 3Com 3c590/3c595/3c90x/3cx980,
> Type is ethernet, and Device is eth0.
>
> In the DNS tab:  Hostname is localhost.localdomain, Primary DNS is
> empty, Secondary DNS is empty, and Tertiary DNS is empty.
>
> I called my ISP which is Comcast using the cable internet service.
> They said there is not a Primary and Secondary DNS IP address, but
> that it is dynamic.  The SMTP mail server IP address for incoming is
> mail.comcast.com and the outgoing is smtp.comcast.net.  There is no
> Pop mail server IP address, but that it is pop3.  They also said they
> had no Netmask information.
>
> When I open my web browser and type an address like
> "http://www.google.com"  it shows the error, can not find.  So that is
> where I am at right now and all I have done.  I am not sure how to
> continue.  Thanks for anything you can offer...Murad.

Since you haven't said which distribution, I will assume Red Hat and a
resent version from some of the above comments.
 I assume that for now this computer connects directly to the Cable
Modem.

First I'd recommend a REBOOT to clean things back up, for the most part.

 Then open a Terminal Window and do:
  #  /sbin/ifconfig

 If only 'lo' is listed then everything is find at this point.
   Otherwise some additional clean up may be required.

Now to configure things 'as root' from here on:

First edit the file '/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0'  as
follows:

 DEVICE="NIC_Device_name"
 ONBOOT="yes"
 BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
 DHCP_HOSTNAME="Your_Host_name"

 Example:

 DEVICE="eth0"
 ONBOOT="yes"
 BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
 DHCP_HOSTNAME="cc123456-a"

To enable your changes take down the interface and bring it back up.

  # /sbin/ifdown eth0
  # /sbin/ifup eth0

Check if the interface came up with route able IP information, run
  # /sbin/ifconfig eth0

Your connection should be connected at this time.

See:
 <http://www.dysan.net/linux/howto/@home-cable-linux-connection-HOWTO.html#ss5.2>
for more information.

Lets worry about the configuration of the Mail Client after the base
network is working.
 You have the required information, now all you have to do is decide
which Mail Client you want to use and fill in it's configuration
information.