List:       novalug
Subject:    [ma-linux] Re: followup Re: Thanks! Re: [dclug] websites replying incompatible
From:       Hyrcan <hyrcan () hyrcan ! com>
Date:       2004-01-20 17:23:36

You didn't happen to get this response from say...a flexible car sharing
program? Because this reads exactly like the letter I got...which
indicates to me they need to probe their users as to their default
browsers...not pick what general web surfers who are not members use...

They say they used the stats...but they don't take into account most of
those stats art members...or the fact that the stats don't take in
consideration that a lot of people who use the "unsupported' browsers
stop using them (or change their browser UA string to something
compatible)  when they go to their site because they know its pointless...

Personally when I have to use their site I switch my UA to read...
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; No Not Really You
Dolt This Is Mozilla Firebird)

BTW the only two things that don't work are the two "pop up" calendar
choosers...which you don't need to use because there are date boxes that
you can type the date into... and the time table size is wrong...it's
height is squished...

So the crucial and oh so "complex" things that prevent other browsers
from using the site are two instances of a broken javascript and a
crappy table layout...

Patrick