List:       novalug
Subject:    [novalug] SendMail coexistence with other SMTP server
From:       "Dan O'Brien" <obriend () axonsolutions ! com>
Date:       2002-02-27 18:43:31

I've got a Domino server running on Linux (RH 7.2).  The Domino server is
configured to handle SMTP.  SENDMAIL is installed, but not configured to
listen on port 25.  No problems here.

I'd like to configure SENDMAIL so that I can direct the output from CRON
jobs, logwatch,  etc. to a qualified address on the same host.  For example, I'd like to add

        MailTo = notify@mydomain.com

to the logwatch.conf file and have it passed to the Domino server for
delivery.  If at all possible, unqualified addresses (MailTo = root)
should be delivered locally by SENDMAIL.  All works well if I send the
mail to another host (MailTo = notify@otherhost.mydomain.com), but if I
direct the notification to the Domino server on the same host, I get the
error:

        MX list for mydomain.com. points back to thishost.mydomain.com: No
such
        file or directory.

I've searched a few places and seen the suggestion that I configure
SENDMAIL to use a relay host (which would bounce the message back to the
original host), but this seems like it should be unnecessary.

Kind regards,
Dan O'Brien
Axon Solutions
obriend@axonsolutions.com