List:       novalug
Subject:    Re: [novalug] Debian Install ISO
From:       "Robb Kidd" <rkidd () ncmec ! org>
Date:       2001-11-30 17:17:09

Andrew Barros wrote:

> I'm looking to install debian on a machine without a floppy drive, and I
> want to do a network install. Does anyone know where I can find a set of
> ISO images that just have the bare minimum to do a network install? I
> tried to create a set of my own a while back, and for the most part they
> worked but I know I saw a link to them on /. at some point.

	Which version are you interested in installing?
	My links to the image mentioned on /. all come up short. It is a small
ISO image of Debian 2.2r3 "Potato" -- a version that is getting a little
long in the tooth. I have a copy that I could give you at tomorrow's
meeting.
	Terribly unpopular it seems in these days of cheap CD burners, you could
snag the three compact floppy images (rescue.bin, root.bin and
driver-1.bin) which provide everything necessary for a network install.
You could get the stable/Potato compact floppies or go with the
testing/Woody floppies (recommended [1]) for a more up-to-date base from
which to run a network install.
	There are unofficial Woody CDs out -- big, as most full ISOs are, so I
can understand why you're looking for the little netinst image.  I can
bring one or more of these tomorrow, too. CD1 boots with the standard
kernel floppies, CD2 is a compact kernel floppies, CD3 uses idepci, CD4
is ide[2], CD5 support udma and ext3[3] from the get go and CD6 supports
reiserfs[4]. I've already downloaded CD1 and CD2.  I could probably get
one or two of the others before the day is out.

[1]
ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/compact
[2]
ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/README.txt
[3]
ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/udma100-ext3/README.txt
[4]
ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/reiserfs/README.txt