List:       novalug
Subject:    Re: [novalug] 1. novell 2. modules
From:       Eddie Sheffield <esheffield () megapipe ! net>
Date:       2001-11-30 16:39:07

On Friday 30 November 2001 10:38 am, Don E. Groves, Jr. wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Brandon Saxe wrote:
> > Also, I'm trying to '/sbin/rmmod' a module and I get an
> > error that reads 'device or resource busy'. How do I tell
> > which process(es) is using the module so that I can
> > unload it? I know how to get a list of modules by doing
> > an /sbin/lsmod, and I know that it shows which modules have
> > loaded other modules that are dependent on them.
> >
> > I'm running Red Hat 7.1 on a Dell Inspiron 3500.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Brandon Saxe
>
> HUM. Good question.. I'm stumped, so what is the answer?

Are you having some specific problem with a driver you're trying to fix? One
thing that I've encountered sometimes is a bad module that partially loads,
but something goes wrong in it's initialization. Then the kernel doesn't
really see that the module is there and it doesn't show up using "lsmod" but
it got far enough along to make some hooks into other modules so you can't
"rmmod" them. In other words when you try to "rmmod xxx" the kernel says "no
can do - someone is using xxx, but I don't know who". If this is the problem
you may need to do a bit of detective work to figure out what module is
crapping out on you. Perhaps checking dmesg and/or /var/log/messages will
help. When I've had this problem I was manually loading/unloading modules so
I knew what was causing the problems.

Perhaps if you tell which module specifically you are trying to rmmod someone
on the list will know what other modules may be trying to use it.

HTH!

Eddie Sheffield