List:       novalug
Subject:    Re: [ma-linux] Apache name-based virtual Web hosting
From:       Ken Firestone <kenf () speakeasy ! net>
Date:       2001-11-30 14:08:29

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Joseph S D Yao wrote:

   On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 05:32:30AM -0800, Ken Firestone wrote:
   > If you want to use virtual https sites, then you have to go with
   > multiple ip numbers, and base the virtual hosting on ip number.

   No, with recent versions of Apache, you have name-based virtual servers
   possible.

Joe,

I fought with this one for several weeks BEFORE I RTFMed. For secure
servers, https, you need to do your virtual hosts by ip number, not
name. when the first contact is made, the url is encrypted, and apache
does not have a clue about the name of the host being requested, but
it does know the ip address it is directed to.

This comes up every week or 2 on the mod_ssl mailing list, and it is
in the FAQs for mod_ssl.

   --
   **