List:       novalug
Subject:    [ma-linux] return of poll confusing
From:       Vishwanath <vishwanath () inablers ! net>
Date:       2001-10-31 12:40:21

Hi all,
I have a setup simillar to ISP, i mean i have one server connected to n
modems through cyclades.
Our own program keep scanning all the cycaldes ports. I have used poll
system call to sence the data
at the port. When one port is receiving some data from client ( ie i
will be getting POLLIN or POLLPRI from the poll ).
when the session completes and the client closes the port on the other
end, the poll return POLLHUP or POLLERR, at this
moment the other ports which may be receiving some data or might be
waiting for new call will end up returning
POLLNVAL ( note: we are not closing the port till we get pollhup |
pollerr ), which man page says the invalid fd.
Why this should happens suddenly when the port fd was valid and
receiving data the other end.

Is there any issues in poll, should i go for select.

-Vishy