List:       novalug
Subject:    Re: [novalug] Which distro for PPC
From:       Matthew Fite <mattfite () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-10-30 12:00:46

I've liked YDL 1.2.1 on my dual G4/400 AGP.  I skipped
2.0, but YDL 2.1 is coming out "Real soon now" (if not
already) and it should feature a 2.4 kernel out of the
box.

Also, I *really* like the name and the logo :)

What I like about YDL is the 'yup' facility to
automatically update packages.  It's like apt-get for
Deb.  Also, the maintainer of the altivec compiler rpm
package used to work for TerraSoft, and I felt they
were more aligned with altivec development under Linux
(There black lab linux has this support out of the
box, although pricey) than other distros, but that's
just my perception.

No experience with LinuxPPC or Mandrake, but I'm
starting to really like OS X 10.1.

matt