List:       nosql
Subject:    release 4.0.5 is available
From:       Carlo Strozzi <carlos () scriptaworks ! com>
Date:       2003-04-19 21:23:43

I have just uploaded NoSQL release 4.0.5 to
http://www.linux.it/~carlos/nosql/archives/nosql-4.0.5.tar.gz

Here is the ChangeLog file:

* Removed useless noise printed by 'search' to STDERR.
* Minor changes to the documentation.
* A few operators have been re-written in C. As a consequence,
  I had to make a few incompatible changes to the command-line
  interface of some of them. See the NEWS file for more details.
  Such changes involve rarely-used options, though, so their
  impact should be limited.
* Re-introduced the ChangeLog file, for GNU compliancy.
* Introduced the 'keysearch' experimental operator.

The major change is those programs that I have rewritten in C.
Beware that I am a novice C programmer, so they *will* have bugs.

The programs that I have rewritten are mainly most of those that used to
be just header-aware AWK wrappers to system utilities.

I think the effort was worth taking though, as the new programs exhibit
a 100%+ speed improvement over the old ones, and the overall speed is
now almost the same as calling the back-end utilities directly (but the
latter know nothing about table headers, of course).

Another noteworthy change involves the 'sorttable' operator (which was
also rewritten in C). I realized that the way per-column sorting options
were specified was inherently "brittle", so I decided to make it more
consistent. Make sure you read the output of 'sorttable --help' before
deciding that you can safely use the new version with no troubles for
your own applications.

Carlo
--
For best reading please set the Courier font.
Freedom for Business: http://swpat.ffii.org