List:       nmap-hackers
Subject:    Nmap V. 2.03 released!
From:       Fyodor <fyodor () dhp ! com>
Date:       1999-01-13 10:49:28

Hello everyone,

I just released Nmap 2.03, you can obtain it from the normal place
( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ).

The biggest change is that I have finally incorporated all the OS
fingerprints that have been flooding in since 2.02.  Thanks go to the
following people for contributing fingerprints for this release:

Dan Stahlke, Peter van Dijk, Peter Keel, Anthony J. Bettini,J
ackal/XTC, R Sriram, sena, Emmanuel Tychon [C], Beat Rubischon, Jordan
Ritter, Bryan Thompson, Dale Lovelace ,Mark, ace24, Erik Parker,
Richard Reiner, austin wood, Michael T. Smith, Chouin,
rain.forest.puppy, Sergey Mukhin, Patrick Oonk, Renzo Toma, Katsifos
Nikolaos, Alexandr D. Kanevskiy, Bennett Todd , Juan Cespedes, Francis
J. Lacoste, Jason L. Snowden, Anthony Bettini, Peter Hjelt, Michael,
antoine, Brian Gorka, Artem Belevich, Simon, Ben Miller, Richard
Johnson, root, ROC Services, Igor Schein, Markus Doehr", Adam Brown,
Zhang Qianli, Josh Tiefenbach, Tomas Halgas, 0x61 0x30, Ron van Daal,
Thomas A. Martin, Christopher P. Lindsey, Jonathan Hunter, Markus
Schauler, Rob Quinn , Ragnar Hojland Espinosa, Igor Schein, Dug Song,
Anton Berezin, Anonymous, Joerg Dorchain, Peter 'g00bER' Kosinar,
Sandor Barany, Frank W. Keeney, Roeland Th Jansen, Adam Shostack,
Andy Steingruebl , Michael Nix, Zhang Qianli, LaMont Jones, Xavier
Man, Aaron Bornstein, Erik Inge Bolso, Brian W. Buchanan, Adam Shand
The Deviant

If you sent in fingerprints, please test to insure the hosts are now
detected.  If not, let me know.  Also there is a new system for
fingerprint submissions.  James W. Abendschan <jwa@jammed.com>
generously wrote a really useful CGI that you can use for this
purpose.  I customized a few little things and put it up at
http://www.insecure.org/cgi-bin/nmap-submit.cgi .  It is easier for me
if use this CGI to rather than sending fingerprints to me
directly.  Please don't send fingerprints to the list -- I'll release
a new fingerprint file whenever I collect a bunch of them.

As usual, I have put the new fingerprint file in
/nmap/nmap-os-fingerprints in case you don't want to upgrade the whole
program.

Here are some other changes for this release:

* Ian Macdonald <ian@caliban.org> sent me another .spec file
  and I finished merging all the .spec files people have sent me
  into one super .spec file to create RPMs.  I am now distributing src
  and (Linux) binary RPMs from the web page.  I am no RPM expert, so
  let me know if you find problems or have suggestions.

* Nmap was patched to work around an OpenBSD bug which prevents
  connect() scans from working with OBSD 2.4.  Job de Haas tracked the
  problem down and sent me the patch.

* Nmap's ./configure script was created from the new version of
  autoconf (2.13)

* Fixed a potential seg fault with certain goofy arguments (found by
  Pedro Ribeiro)

* Fixed 'nmap -F ' state mismatch error found by datawar@usa.net
  and Mark Smith

* Matthew Franz' broadcast problem should be fixed.  Broadcasting a
  UDP scan doesn't make a lot of sense, but it is better than the EPERM
  timeouts.  I might fix it a different way for the next version.

Be sure and test this version out and let me know if you find problems.

Cheers,
Fyodor

--
Fyodor                            'finger pgp@www.insecure.org | pgp -fka'