List:       nmap-dev
Subject:    Nmap Bug
From:       avila () ltceng ! com
Date:       2013-06-28 14:07:26

Hello,

I discovered a nasty bug in nmap while attempting to scan a large
network.  The reverse DNS was being done entirely through the
/etc/hosts file on a Linux RH 6.2 system.  We required the exact
hostname to be returned from nmap via reserve lookup.

The problem was troubleshoot and fixed on nmap version 6.25.  To
correct the problem the source file "nmap_dns.cc" was modified:

#define   HASH_TABLE_SIZE   256

was changed to

#define HASH_TABLE_SIZE    4096

I may go back and change the routine further to make the hash dynamic
but this appears to not fine for our use of nmap.

Nmap is a great tool, please continue the great work. Please feel
contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Cheers,
Matt Avila