List:       nmap-dev
Subject:    [BUG] Nmap 4.22SOC6 UMIT on WinXPSP2 with IE7
From:       jah <jah () zadkiel ! plus ! com>
Date:       2007-08-29 21:36:23

I've installed soc06 on XP SP2 (from the exe package and using setup
defaults) and UMIT crashes when I attempt to launch 'Help' (The help
file is located at C:\Program
Files\Nmap\umit\share\umit\docs\help.html), then fails to open my
default web browser (IE7) after I submitted a bug report and then
encounters errors when closed .  This happened to me after I'd
successfully scanned a host using UMIT for the first time and I have
reproduced the problem several times since then.

Here's an outline of the steps:

Click Help in the Help menu, or on the Help menu button
A 'Crash Report' dialog opens with the following text ready to send
along with an email address of ones choosing:

        CRASH REPORTED:

        STDOUT

        STDERR
          File "umitGUI\MainWindow.pyo", line 879, in _show_help
          File "webbrowser.pyo", line 60, in open
          File "webbrowser.pyo", line 516, in open

        HOOK:
        Type: <type 'exceptions.WindowsError'>
        Value: [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified:
    'file://share\\umit\\docs\\help.html'

Sending the report results in another dialog announcing that 'Bug
Successfully reported' and that my default webbrowser will open.  I've
verified, with packet sniffing, that the crash report is indeed sent and
accepted by a webserver at sourceforge.net.  However, when I clear the
dialog, my webbrowser doesn't open.
At this point the umit.exe.log contains the following:

          File "umitGUI\CrashReport.pyo", line 158, in send_report
          File "umitGUI\CrashReport.pyo", line 178, in close
        Error in sys.excepthook:
        Traceback (most recent call last):
          File "umit.pyw", line 59, in excepthook
        AttributeError: 'Blackhole' object has no attribute 'close'

        Original exception was:
        Traceback (most recent call last):
          File "umitGUI\CrashReport.pyo", line 158, in send_report
          File "umitGUI\CrashReport.pyo", line 178, in close
        NameError: global name 'sys' is not defined

Closing UMIT at this point results in a 'Errors occurred' dialog
prompting one to check the umit.exe.log (Closing UMIT under normal
circumstances does not produce the dialog) and then after clearing the
dialog, the following is added to the above in umit.exe.log:

        Error in atexit._run_exitfuncs:
        Traceback (most recent call last):
          File "atexit.pyo", line 24, in _run_exitfuncs
          File "logging\__init__.pyo", line 1354, in shutdown
          File "logging\__init__.pyo", line 731, in flush
        ValueError: I/O operation on closed file
        Error in sys.exitfunc:
          File "atexit.pyo", line 24, in _run_exitfuncs
          File "logging\__init__.pyo", line 1354, in shutdown
          File "logging\__init__.pyo", line 731, in flush
        Error in sys.excepthook:
        Traceback (most recent call last):
          File "umit.pyw", line 59, in excepthook
        AttributeError: 'Blackhole' object has no attribute 'close'

        Original exception was:
        Traceback (most recent call last):
          File "atexit.pyo", line 24, in _run_exitfuncs
          File "logging\__init__.pyo", line 1354, in shutdown
          File "logging\__init__.pyo", line 731, in flush
        ValueError: I/O operation on closed file

Regards,

jah