List:       nix-dev
Subject:    [nix-devel] The Haskell Infrastructure Needs New Maintainers
From:       "'Peter Simons' via nix-devel" <nix-devel () googlegroups ! com>
Date:       2018-07-21 14:31:22

Fellow Nix & Haskell Hackers,

I posted this article to Discourse [1] originally, but since I reckon
that not everyone has migrated to new and flashy web-based things yet,
it felt like a good idea to share the news with the good old fashioned
mailing list, too.

For the last couple of years, I felt responsible for the Haskell
infrastructure in Nixpkgs, but now the time has come to pass the torch
on to other people. I'll happily continue to contribute to
pkgs/development/haskell-modules, obviously, but I'd rather not feel
"responsible" for it any more. The maintenance aspect of it all has
grown a little old on me. I'd particularly like to remove myself from
.github/CODEOWNERS so that Github no longer assigns every PR that
changes the Haskell code to me for reviewing. I feel like there are
plenty of other contributors who can take that function over from me and
do a much better job at it than I'd do.

So consider this a call for volunteers. If you care about the Haskell
infrastructure in Nixpkgs, please consider putting your name into the
CODEOWNERS file [2] to help ensuring that new contributors don't break
anything by innocently trying to override "foo = dontCheck self.foo".
Help out newbies who edit hackage-packages.nix directly and point them
to the configuration files. And please peer review changes made to the
generic builder, the ghc wrapper, and all the other useful code that we
offer so that people who extend and improve those facilities have the
benefit of a second pair of eyes.

I'll be around to answer questions as much as I can and I'll also make
an effort to document the current procedures a bit (in the form of an
RFC?) so that everyone can look at the status quo for guidance.

Best regards
Peter

[1] https://discourse.nixos.org/t/the-haskell-infrastructure-needs-new-maintainers/545
 [2] https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/.github/CODEOWNERS#L54-L59