List:       nix-dev
Subject:    Re: [nix-devel] NixOS Container Bridge Networking
From:       Arnold Krille <arnold () arnoldarts ! de>
Date:       2018-02-25 11:32:25

Hi,

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 18:04:04 -0500 Mark Gardner <mkg@vt.edu> wrote:
> I am trying to use a nixos container to contain the unifi controller.
> I was able to create the container imperatively via:
>
> nixos-container create unifi --config "
> nixpkgs.config.allowUnfree = true;
> services.unifi = {
> enable = true;
> };
> "
>
> But the networking is private. Ports have to be made available so the
> Unifi AP can talk to the controller. I used NAT as outlined in
> section 28.3 of the NixOS manual and it works for this case. But this
> isn't completely satisfactory as I may wish to have multiple
> containers that listen on the same port (:80 for instance). So what I
> would rather have is the containers use a bridge for networking so
> they have their own IP addresses and hence can listen on the same
> port.
>
> How would I do that?

Did you take a look at the tests for containers and networking,
including containers and bridges?
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/release-17.09/nixos/tests/containers-bridge.nix

Might help to see how it works / is supposed to work. And its a working
example as the channel shouldn't update if that is broken…

- Arnold