List:       nix-dev
Subject:    Re: [Nix-dev] Too many open issues
From:       "Guillaume Maudoux (Layus)" <layus.on () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-07-22 17:21:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,

May I suggest that the culprit is the tool itself ? Clearly GitHub does a poor job at \
managing and displaying issues. It works well for pull requests and code exploration, \
but not for issues.

What we need is to maintain a pool of issues that need attention. Ideally this pool \
is quite small (max 20), and contains issues that require some action, or could \
benefit from anyone's input.

For example, a new issue requires attention. When the discussion has started, it can \
be removed from the pool. Issues with no activity also require attention eventually.

Furthermore, I think that every issue should be assigned to someone. Being assigned \
to an issue would mean that you are responsible for its progress, like pinging the \
maintainers, not for fixing the problem by yourself (but you still can).

We really need a way to get a short list of items requiring global attention, then \
triage/dispatch it elsewhere to keep focus on interesting things. If GitHub cannot do \
that, we may need another tool.

Regards,

-- Layus.