List:       nix-dev
Subject:    Re: [Nix-dev] Too many open issues
From:       Wout Mertens <wout.mertens () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-07-22 13:26:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Ok, how about this: We split nixpkgs in nixpkgs-core and nixpkgs-community

For any package or service, there need to be at least 3 active maintainers,
or it goes out of nixpkgs-core into a nixpkgs-community repo.

Hydra builds nixos from nixpkgs-core, and nixpkgs from both combined.

nixpgks-core issues are mostly solved by the maintainers or of course any
PR that is good enough.

In the nixpkgs-community we implement the
http://rfc.zeromq.org/spec:42/C4/ process,
meaning that any PR that fulfills all the objective goals gets merged. It
worked well for ZeroMQ, and takes the guesswork out of PRs. Tree
maintainers only need to evaluate the C4 objectives
<http://rfc.zeromq.org/spec:42/C4/#23-patch-requirements> of the PR, and if
they are fulfilled, merge.

Packages get moved between the two repos as support status changes.

That way, we have a small "trust base" for server systems, and a large
"community base" for the latest and greatest. NixOS is so flexible that you
can mix and match as you wish.