List:       nix-dev
Subject:    [Nix-dev] =?utf-8?q?Source_URL_breakage_=E2=80=93_please_can_we_i?= =?utf-8?q?mprove_the_determinism
From:       "J. R. Haigh" <james.r.haigh () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-05-08 0:19:18

Dear Nix project leaders,
	I don't find NixOS to be very deterministic at all, and it's nearly always for the \
same reason: source files on random servers scattered across the Internet going \
walkabouts.  Please can we have all source files hosted by the Nix project and all \
source URLs in nixpkgs and nixpkgs-channels replaced or accompanied by the Nix-hosted \
copies. Ideally there should be a way to specify multiple URLs for each source file, \
so both the original and the Nix-hosted locations can be specified, as well as any \
other mirrors if there are any.  As for the duration of the hosting, I think that at \
least every release build that goes through Hydra to build live images and such \
should keep hosted files (source or binary alike) indefinitely. Anything that was not \
one of these Hydra builds I don't mind too much if they go missing because I nearly \
always stick to the release builds, but it would still be appreciated if all source \
files could be hosted indefinitely to aid with binary searches of regressions or \
other changes.  Better still, if magnet URIs could be specified and Nix would support \
downloading from torrents then it would be very easy to avoid breakage due to missing \
                source files.
	In this specific instance, please could someone with commit access resolve this \
breakage a.s.a.p.?: https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs-channels/blob/nixos-15.09/pkgs/tools/misc/moreutils/default.nix
  Perhaps it could be done by updating it from 0.57 to 0.58 or by finding it on \
another mirror somewhere. The Debian source archive at \
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/m/moreutils/ lists 0.47, 0.52, and 0.58, \
but not 0.57. Moreutils is depended on by Mercurial and Mercurial is a build \
dependency of many things, so that one source breakage has broken a lot of things \
from building in the head of the NixOS 15.09 release channel branch.

Best regards,
James R. Haigh.
--
Sent from Claws Mail on NixOS.