List:       ngw
Subject:    Re: [ngw] HTML Email problem
From:       "Ken Etter" <KLE () msktd ! com>
Date:       2017-06-26 20:03:25

This is a Microsoft problem, but they have no incentive to fix it.  There is an \
enhancement request on the Micro Focus Ideas site asking for a solution within \
GroupWise.  Vote for it here if you haven't already:  \
https://ideas.microfocus.com/MFI/novell-gw/Idea/Detail/163

Ken
> > > "Bruce Perrin" <Bruce.Perrin@lbb.texas.gov> 6/26/2017 3:56 PM >>>
Ken- I think so too.  We have this issue with Sister agencies periodically. There is \
a way to globally change that for exchange administrators I'm told.
> > > "Ken Etter" <KLE@msktd.com> 6/26/2017 2:53 PM >>>
Then I wouldn't be surprised if it was the TNEF issue Bruce mentioned.  That is a \
common way to fix that problem.

Ken
> > > "Daniel Wells" <Daniel.Wells@mhtn.com> 6/26/2017 3:51 PM >>>
The resolution was to have the sender delete and recreate the contact for the person \
who could not see the HTML that he sent.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including attachments, are privileged and \
confidential and/or proprietary information intended solely for the use of the \
individual or entity to whom this is addressed. If the reader of this message is not \
the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the \
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or \
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this \
communication in error, please immediately notify sender by telephone or reply email, \
do not use or disclose the contents to others, and delete the message and all \
attachments from your computer, system and/or network. Further, e-mail transmission \
cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, \
corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender \
therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of \
this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is \
required please request a hard-copy version.

> > > "Joe Brugaletta" <JBrugaletta@braytonlaw.com> 6/22/2017 10:10 AM >>>
I'm not sure, I'll mention this to them. One thing I can consistently make fail, is \
Forward as Attachment. They can only see to/from/subject of the attached forward. I \
even duplicate on my phone (google pixel).. attachment comes in as a .eml and I don't \
get message body. This one seems oddly familiar..

> > > "Bruce Perrin" <Bruce.Perrin@lbb.texas.gov> 6/22/2017 5:33 AM >>>
Could this be related to the Outlook client being set to use TNEF (Rich Text format), \
which is on by default, instead of straight HTML? \
http://www.ryadel.com/en/configure-outlook-to-not-use-winmail-dat-to-send-attachments/

> > > "Joe Brugaletta" <JBrugaletta@braytonlaw.com> 6/21/2017 7:03 PM >>>
I'm not sure if this is the same issue.. but I'm getting reports of a certain law \
firm that are unable to view SOME emails from us, as well. I'm on the phone with \
their IT department and we're trying to duplicate/troubleshoot. When I Forward as \
Attachment, he said one of the emails showed up as blank. I sent the same email with \
"Forward" and he was able to see it.

They use outlook and some spam filter there (websense, maybe, forcepoint..)

Is this the same behavior you describe? If so, this could be a GW bug.. in the client \
and/or gwia? 14.2.2 here as well

> > > "David Gerisch" <DGerisch@co.tulare.ca.us> 6/21/2017 9:49 AM >>>
My guess is that if you were to look at the Message Source tab on the
message on both users, the content types are different.  That is to say,
for the recipient who sees the mail correctly, the Message Source tab
will show "Content-Type: text/html" - but the recipient who cannot see
the HTML version will show "Content-Type: text/plain" instead.

I am assuming that the one sender from whom this is a problem is coming
in off the Internet.  If the sender were internal to GroupWise, I cannot
imagine how that could happen.

David Gerisch

> > > "Daniel Wells" <Daniel.Wells@mhtn.com> 6/21/2017 8:15 AM >>>
There were screen captures in this email, that did not make it to the
list.

The end user has client version 14.2.2 build number 12868 (4/3/2017).
Default read and view are set to HTML.  When reading the email in
question, the user has the HTML option grayed out.

I went and looked at the email coming in to the SPAM filter and noted
that the email going to the end user was larger than the same email
carbon copied to the other user in the office (who sees the email
correctly.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including attachments, are
privileged and confidential and/or proprietary information intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom this is
addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received
this communication in error, please immediately notify sender by
telephone or reply email, do not use or disclose the contents to others,
and delete the message and all attachments from your computer, system
and/or network. Further, e-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be
secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted,
lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions
in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail
transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy
version.

> > > "Daniel Wells" <Daniel.Wells@mhtn.com> 6/20/2017 4:47 PM >>>
I have a user that can receive HTML email from inside the office and
from sources like Gmail. But one sender that sends regular business
related email in HTML will not display. The client is:

The view settings are:

When viewing the email, the HTML option is grayed out.

Now the strange part, others who are copied on the email can see it as
HTML.  I had the user try logging into a different computer, web access
and through the GMS on his iPad and the email is plaint text.

This has me stumped.  Where should I look next to see if I can fix
this?

Daniel Wells AIA, VCP
IT Manager
MHTN Architects, Inc.