List:       ngw
Subject:    [ngw] Late Friday evening query -- login prompts on images
From:       "Jim Gosney" <jgosney () genesco ! com>
Date:       2017-05-20 0:01:45

So with all the heightened security awareness due to last week's ransom
attack, had something happen late this afternoon that was weird...

A few users received an email from an internal system.  This email had
a link in the message to an image.  The image did not exist on the
server so when they opened the message, it prompted them to login to the
server.
At virtually the same time, the users also received a an external
message that had a link to an image on an external server.  Since the
image doesn't exist, it also prompted them for the login to this
external (and unknown) server.

We are running on 2014r2 and, since we haven't seen this behavior
before, I assumed it was a new behavior of 2014 but I pulled up an old
2012 client and it did the same thing.

What's weird is that we have never seen this type of behavior.  In the
past, if the image was bad, the client would just put a red x in its
place.  But now, all of a sudden, multiple users using multiple versions
of the client with multiple messages (both internal and external) are
being asked to log in if an image link is broken.

I guess it is possible that I have accidentally changed a setting but I
can't imagine what it would have been.  Is this something that should be
concerning to us?

~+~^~+~^~+~^~+~^~+~^~+~^~+~^
Jim Gosney
* SuSE Linux System Engineer
* Microfocus Groupwise System Engineer
* Microfocus Mobility Server Admin
Genesco, Inc.
Nashville, TN
615-367-7850

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential
and may also be privileged. No waiver of any legal privilege or
proprietary right is intended or shall be deemed to have occurred by the
transmission of this e-mail or its contents or attachments to any person
other than the originally intended recipient.  If you are not an
intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any
unauthorized use, dissemination, storage or copying of this e-mail or
the information contained in it or attached to it is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it
and immediately notify the sender by telephone. Thank you.