List:       ngw
Subject:    Re: [ngw] Migrate GroupWise
From:       Matt Weisberg <matt () weisberg ! net>
Date:       2017-01-31 23:44:47

Since we're at it, I'll throw in a few other comments..

If you are going to do SLES 12, use XFS for the file system for GroupWise data, not \
BTRFS.

Personally, I'd do SLES 12 myself, but SLES 11 is fine too and supported until at \
least 2019.

Matt

—
  Matt Weisberg
  Weisberg Consulting, Inc.
  matt@weisberg.net
  www.weisberg.net
  ofc. 248.685.1970
  cell 248.705.1950
  fax 248.769.5963

On 1/31/17, 5:47 PM, "ngw-bounces+matt=weisberg.net@ngwlist.com on behalf of Gregg A. \
Hinchman" <ngw-bounces+matt=weisberg.net@ngwlist.com on behalf of \
Gregg@HinchmanConsulting.com> wrote:

    My take on this is:

    Unless you are going to do clustering -then NSS is overkill these days as is OES. \
GW is very light and fast on pure linux and EXT3 (SLES11) suits it well.  I can count \
on 1 finger the number of NSS implementations I have done.

    Not knocking NSS performance its still a great file system.   But when its only \
GW most of what NSS offers is not needed. And considering with GW14 there is no need \
for C1 or any sort of mapping/connection to db's on a file system I see no need.

    Now because you have IM you need eDir at this point.  But if I was doing it I \
would just have 1 SLES box with IM on it with eDir. Then a 2nd for GW. Or you could \
have GW on it with IM and eDir depending upon fault tolerance/GW users and such \
things.

    Finally, dbcopy because it just copies GW over quick and clean. No need for the \
transfer of ID stuff. Why do that for GW?  GW does not care. Just move it. Build new \
servers in existing TREE, transfer the CA. DBCOPY/upgrade GW. IM installed. Done.

    But of course there are always many ways to do things.

    Take Care.

    Gregg A. Hinchman, PMP

    Consultant
    Gregg@HinchmanConsulting.com

    www.HinchmanConsulting.com

    765.653.8099 Office

    "Courage is doing what is right."

    "Do not be bound to any doctrine, theory or ideology, even Buddhist ones. All \
systems of thought are guiding means, not absolute truth." Thich Nhat Hanh, \
Vietnamese monk.