List:       ngw
Subject:    Re: [ngw] GroupWise 2014 - Windows vs Linux
From:       "Marvin Huffaker" <mhuffaker () redjuju ! com>
Date:       2016-06-10 7:28:08

James if you're going for Snarky, i'm surprised you didn't mention this
TID that tells you if you run on Linux you may need to put up a Windows
7 box just to run a stable DVA...  ;)

https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7017674

PS. Novell, what is going on here?

Marvin

Marvin Huffaker
mhuffaker@redjuju.com
Office:  480-988-7215 (Best Number)
Cell: 480-797-2989

>>> "James Taylor" <James.Taylor@eastcobbgroup.com> 06/08/16 2:27 PM >>>
I think you are right about the kerberos integration on linux.
Possibly much sooner than you expected....
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor@eastcobbgroup.com

>>> Matt Weisberg <matt@weisberg.net> 6/8/2016 5:25 PM >>>

Another big advantage for Windows:

Keberos integration

But I believe that is coming to the Linux version in the future
(someone correct me if I'm wrong on that).

However, I too much prefer it on Linux and cringe when I have to put it
on Windows.

Matt

—
Matt Weisberg
Weisberg Consulting, Inc.
matt@weisberg.net
www.weisberg.net
ofc. 248.685.1970
cell 248.705.1950
fax 248.769.5963

On 6/8/16, 5:20 PM, "ngw-bounces+matt=weisberg.net@ngwlist.com on
behalf of Gene Homan" <ngw-bounces+matt=weisberg.net@ngwlist.com on
behalf of gene@genehoman.com> wrote:

>Rhonda,
>
>Running GroupWise on Windows Servers:
>
>advantages:
> Your IT team knows the Windows Server OS for support and
>troubleshooting
> GroupWise administration stays the same
> GWDVA runs much better on Windows today, until they fix all the
GWDVA
>Linux decoding bugs
> You do not need the GWHA service any longer
>
>disadvantage:
> You have to pay for all the NOS copies under GroupWise to run it
> GroupWise runs much slower on a Windows Server with same HW specs
> Windows OS can not do the elevator=noop equivalent tune up of disk
>under VMware
>
>That's my quick list off the top of my head.
>
>I prefer Linux over Windows to run GroupWise.
>

>-Gene

>I have been asked to (finally) upgrade our GroupWise 2012 system to
>2014.
>We have a limited number of people with knowledge on Linux, however,
>everyone on the team is comfortable with Windows.
>
>So, my question to the collective:
>
>What are the advantages and disadvantages of building GroupWise 2014
on
>Windows vs Linux.
>
>Go......
>
>--
>
>"Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible." —
Frank L.
>Gaines
>"Do not be bound to any doctrine, theory or ideology, even Buddhist
>ones.
>All systems of thought are guiding means, not absolute truth." —
Thich