List:       ngw
Subject:    Re: [ngw] 2014 Post Office Upgrade Testing
From:       "Morris Blackham" <mblackham () gw ! novell ! com>
Date:       2014-04-30 20:31:53

Just the wphost.db will be needed.   however,  the existing domain on your test \
environment would be out of sync with the PO,  so you may want to replace that \
wpdomain.db as well.

--Morris
 >>> "Doug Ratz" <dratz@Lakeheadschools.ca> 4/30/2014 11:20 AM >>>
I restarted the GW admin service on the PO server, and used netstat (I'm running \
Windows 2008, not linux) but don't see it listening on 9711.

I copied the files from the GW8 live system to a test VM, so there isn't actually a \
PO running yet. No running PO would prevent the port 9711 change from replicating \
from the MTA server to the PO server since the GW2014 PO isn't installed yet.

Any other thoughts?

I am in the process of cleaning up the live system and removing the indexing POA \
since we don't use the DMS anymore. Once that is complete, I can copy the files again \
(or do I just need the wphost.db file?)

Doug

Douglas Ratz
Lakehead Public Schools
(807) 625-5161

> > > On Wednesday, April 30, 2014 at 11:14 AM, "Morris Blackham" \
> > > <mblackham@gw.novell.com> wrote:

DOH!!   If a server has just a PO on it,  there will be no admin console listening,  \
just the admin service.   So after the port change,  it should replicate to the PO.  \
Then restart the admin-service on the PO server.  To verify that the admin service \
has an instance running for the PO,  run "/opt/novell/groupwise/admin/gwadmin-ipc \
query" and you should get something like:

10.10.10.10:9711=>Provo.Utah(/mail/provo)

--Morris

> > > "Doug Ratz" <dratz@Lakeheadschools.ca> 4/30/2014 8:39 AM >>>
Thanks for the info. Finding a bug makes me feel special!

I found the spot on the GW Admin Console to put in the admin port 9711 for the POA, \
and restarted the GroupWise Administration service. Just to be clear, this is running \
on the server with the MTA, not the server with the PO I'm trying to update. (When I \
tried to run the admin console on the PO server, it took me to the install page).

But, I'm still getting the same install error. Any thoughts?

Doug

Douglas Ratz
Lakehead Public Schools
(807) 625-5161

> > > On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 at 1:58 PM, "Morris Blackham" \
> > > <mblackham@gw.novell.com> wrote:

Looks like there is an issue on the upgrade with 2 POAs.   Even if you select the POA \
to update,  the info is not getting sent to the admin service properly.   Basically,  \
you need to select one of the POA's to assign the admin-service port to.   So in your \
case,  the easiest solution is to assign the admin port manually thru the \
admin-console.   Edit the main POA and assign the port (default is 9711).  Then \
restart the admin service..

We're looking in to why this go broke before ship...

--Morris
> > > "Doug Ratz" <dratz@Lakeheadschools.ca> 4/29/2014 7:46 AM >>>
It is on Windows 2008.  I know the names of the POAs (POA and INDEX), and paying \
closer attention the second time through, it does ask me which POA I want when I add \
the PO to the upgrade list. When the error comes up, there isn't a place to choose \
the POA.

The Indexing POA has been around since the 5.5 days for the document library. We just \
kept it going with each upgrade. Didn't realize it wasn't necessary any more. I \
suppose I could remove it from the live system, then re-copy the files to the test \
system if that is what it takes.

Doug

Douglas Ratz
Lakehead Public Schools
(807) 625-5161

> > > On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 at 9:37 AM, "Gregg A. Hinchman" \
> > > <Gregg@HinchmanConsulting.com> wrote:

On linux?  If so -it will be --name .....I think.  But that stated, as per Danita \
-you need to set the attribute in the poa config file .  Look at your current startup \
files -they should have the name in there because you have 2 for a po.

COS:
Why 2 poa's?  Is the post office size on disk that big?  I have never seen a need for \
2 poa's on a post office -well not since the GW55 days.  You could remove the \
indexing one -config the other one to do indexing -after you upgrade -and just try \
the upgrade again.

Take Care.

Gregg A. Hinchman
Consultant
Gregg@HinchmanConsulting.com
www.HinchmanConsulting.com
VMWare VCP5
765.653.8099 Office
413.254.2819 eFax

"Courage is doing what is right."

"Do not be bound to any doctrine, theory or ideology, even Buddhist ones. All systems \
of thought are guiding means, not absolute truth."  Thich Nhat Hanh, Vietnamese monk.