List:       ngw
Subject:    Re: [ngw] GWPOA High Utilization on Server
From:       "Mike Murphy" <michael.murphy () pewaukee ! k12 ! wi ! us>
Date:       2012-11-29 21:07:57

I think I resolved my issues with high utilization.  I found this link dealing with a \
POA Crash.  Someone had a comment in a thread which mimic'd my issue.  It helped me \
solve this so I thought I'd (re)share.

Stanleytee on the Novell Forums \
(http://www.theusenetarchive.com/usenet-message-poa-crash-10139138.htm) said < \
Stanleytee >

Not sure how you got on with this but we had a similar issue here recently. Our \
mobility server died so we construction a new one with a different IP address. When \
we looked at our POA logs we were still getting the 8906 error pointing to the old IP \
address despite the fact that the server was long gone. Essentially from the POA \
console under

configuration - SOAP Notification list

we could see the soap details for the users and the new server, however when we \
looked at

configuration - event configuration list

we could see threads for the old server, these contained many thousands of events and \
were causing our POA to grind to a halt. Once these old event configuration lists \
were deleted the 8906 errors in the logs stopped and the POA was able to function \
properly. I would say that several of the event config lists kept re-appearing, if \
you get these then it is worth running a structural scan and fix on the user in \
question. you will find these old dead events appear as "101 errors event without \
configuration" or something along those lines. The fix should be able to handle \
these, you may have to do this several times to flush out all the old rubbish.

Even if your situation is slightly different it is worth looking at the event \
configuration lists and clearing them down if there is a backlog, the "help" details \
on the POA web window were quite, well, "helpful" with this.  </ Stanleytee >

I had things in my SOAP notification list trying to contact the downed server.  I \
cleared them.  Ran a Recover and now my POA is a happy camper again (1 full day).

So I though I'd repost this as it was surprising that the POA was trying to talk to \
the server which I had taken down.

Thanks for the replies Elbert.

Mike

> > > "Elbert LaGrew" <Elbert.LaGrew@katun.com> 11/29/2012 5:22 AM >>>
I'd first get a handle on what is running on these servers.  Obviously if you have \
old archiving solutions starting up unexpectedly, you don't have a control over your \
environment.

Set up GWMonitor as this brings all the pieces of the puzzle together so you can look \
at it as a whole and not just pieces.  It also bring all the log files into a page \
where they are all accessible with just a  couple of clicks.

Good luck!

--El

> > > "Mike Murphy"  11/28/12 2:46 PM >>>
We have been having issues with the GW server becoming unresponsive for users.  Upon \
checking I saw GWPOA had high utilization in top on the server.  When it would be \
99.+% people would just die on the vine.  Go figure.  Looking at this we had an old \
archiving solution that started up after a power outage.  I killed that process on \
that server and took it down.  It made things a little better for a while but I'm \
seeing a roller coster (up and down) for utilization.  I saw connections in soap that \
pointed to the old server and killed those under Event Configuration List:  for each \
user under the SOAP section.  That seems to have pretty much cleaned up one of the \
issue I saw in the logs   "EF9E Error with GWEvent notification [8908]"

But I still have high utilization much of the time.  Is there a good way for me to \
see  what the GWPOA process is doing to create the high utilization?

Our info:
GW 2012 Single domain, 3 post offices.  Two on the main server.  Main server has web \
access as well.  We archive 1 post office on the main server with gwava retain and \
the old product that started up was Lightspeeds GWJAV (and was shutdown again).

OS Revision Linux Release 2.6.16.60-0.97.1-default
OES Version Novell Open Enterprise Server 2.0.3 (x86_64)

Build Dates
GroupWise Agent Build Version 12.0.1-103309
GroupWise Agent Build Date 08-23-12
GroupWise Resource Build Date 04-24-12

Thanks for any insights in to the finding why it's at 99+%.

Mike Murphy

NOTICE:  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended \
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are \
not the addressee, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail \
without the consent of the sender is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this \
email in error please notify us immediately by replying to this email.  Please note \
that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and \
do not necessarily represent those of the Pewaukee School District.