List:       ngw
Subject:    Re: [ngw] Problems with Outlook connector and iPhone
From:       "Lilith Calbridge" <lilith () dcccd ! edu>
Date:       2008-11-26 17:46:53

<RBIENSTOCK@carlinamerica.com>
wrote:
> We've been trying various solutions to get iPhones running with GW.
We tried
> the NotifyLink product, but found it to be very unreliable.
CompanionLink was
> a bit better (you have to use IMAP for mail with that product), but
it uses a
> proprietary client that itself has issues. So we went the tried and
true
> route of using the Outlook Connector to allow Outlook access GW, and
then
> using MobileMe to sync Outlook to the iPhone. This worked great in
all
> respects except one, and has the added benefit of allowing the users
to also
> sync to the Address Book and iCal on their Macs.
>
> We have had one glitch, though: If the user creates an appointment on
the
> iPhone, the appointment syncs to MobileMe and MobileMe syncs to
Outlook, so
> the appointment is visible in Outlook, but the appointment never
makes it
> over to GroupWise. I don't see how this is possible, because I
thought that
> with the connector, Outlook is merely a client reading from the
database on
> the GW server. How can an appointment be visible in Outlook but not
in GW?
> Also, FWIW, this problem does not occur with contacts, only with
> appointments, and only with appointments created on the iPhone.
Appointments
> created in GW, MobileMe or Outlook sync without problems.
>
> Any ideas?

I don't know if this works or not.  I don't have the wherewithal to set
up and test at the moment.  Maybe it will work for you.  One of our
campus techs used this technique to synch his GroupWise to an iPhone,
including calendar.  Note the admonishment about the time zone support
at the end.

Install these four applications in the order they are listed:
GroupWise 7.0.3 or newer
MS Outlook 2003
Outlook Connector for GroupWise (Only works with MS Outlook 2003)
iTunes 8.0.1 or newer
When all the installations are complete make sure Outlook Connector for
GroupWise is the default profile under Windows Messaging. (Click on
Start>Settings>Control Panel>Mail)
Also make sure that GroupWise is selected in the Email and Calendar
fields under the Programs tab in Internet Options. (Open Internet
Explorer and Click on Tools>Internet Options>Programs tab.)
Then you should open MS Outlook at least once before docking the Apple
iPhone.
Connect the Apple iPhone and make sure that it has the latest firmware
update when it shows up in the left-hand “tree” pane.
Select the Apple iPhone in the left-hand "tree" pane, the right-hand
window will then show a tabbed interface.
Finally, Select the Info tab and check the sync boxes for selecting
Outlook as the sync'ing calendar.
Make sure the iPhone firmware and version of iTunes is the latest.
Another thing to check is the calendar time zone support to make sure
the appointments in the calendar display the correct time. I had to turn
this setting off on an iPhone I setup at Eastfield to display the time
in the time zone of the iPhones current location.

Here is a link I found. Take a look at the section that mentions
calendar time zone support.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA38641?viewlocale=en_US