List:       ngw
Subject:    [ngw] Re: GW on a Virtual Machine
From:       "Ed Rothenbaum" <ERothenbaum () kleinfelder ! com>
Date:       2008-11-25 22:56:27

We are currently running our GW Messenging and GWMail on VMWare without any problems. \
We are running under Netware 6.5 sp7 currently and have about 2100 users spread over \
4 POs in caching mode across 4 VMs, messenging on one, and GWIA and Webaccess on \
another. All are running great. The largest PO contains about 900 users.
Thanks

Ed Rothenbaum
IT Director
Kleinfelder
(P) 916-366-1701
(F) 916-366-7013

> > > On 11/25/2008 at 8:46 AM, "Bruce Perrin" <Bruce.Perrin@lbb.state.tx.us> wrote:
We are running several GW servers on VMWARE. Two netware 5.1 SP7 boxes running 1 \
domain, post office and gateway each and 1 W2K3 server with a domain and post office. \
We have seen no major issues.

> > > "Kevin Salisbury" <KSalisbury@twinman.com> 11/25/2008 8:17 AM >>>

Bruce,

We will be migrating to 8 on SLES 10 from NetWare 6.5 SP 7.

I second your question about Virtual Machines however. We have a small, 55 user post \
office and we'd like to move it to a Virtual Machine (VMware Server or Xen). Our \
research shows virtualization of GroupWise is supported by Novell under Linux, \
NetWare or Window$, but I can't find any best practices guides for setup, etc.

Novell GroupWise 8 Documentation link;
http://tinyurl.com/6hnhee

Note the statement under the Xen section;

"Large post offices with busy POAs are not good candidates for virtualization. \
Specialized POAs, such as an indexing POA with no mailboxes and users, could be \
virtualized. Other GroupWise components such as the MTA, Internet Agent, and \
WebAccess Agent do well when virtualized."

I'm going to assume that this statement applies to all Virtualization platforms, and \
I'm also thinking I should assume our environment does not classify in any way as a \
"large post office with a busy POA" - but I'm really not sure as "large" isn't \
defined. YMMV. I think I'll contact NTS on it unless someone in here has real world \
experience with GroupWise on Linux under VMware or Xen...

Kevin

> > > "Bruce  Feder" <bfeder@timeequities.com> 11/24/2008 11:50 AM >>>
I am planning to get a new server for Groupwise while I upgrade from
V6.5.7 to either 7 or 8.

Currently I am on a netware platform - Should I out netware on my new
server or should I move over to Linux.

Also - has anyone installed GW (weather on netware or Linux) on a
virtual machine. Should GW get a dedicated server or do you think it can
be on a virtual machine?

Thanks

______________
Bruce Feder
MIS Director
Time Equities, Inc.
bfeder@timeequities.com
(P) 212-206-6106
(F) 212-627-9279

NOTICE:
intended solely for the use of the individual(s) or entity to whom
notify the sender and delete all copies on your system. Please
note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Twin
Manufacturing Company, Inc.