List:       ngw
Subject:    Re: [ngw] GroupWise migration toExchange	-PROJECT	ISSTILL	DEAD
From:       "Mary Boland" <BOLANDM () stgeorge ! com ! au>
Date:       2008-08-29 0:32:14

Hi Faith
Thank you for that advice...we do plan to use Quest.
We are very sad about losing GW - but I'm afraid it seems a "fait
accompli" :(
Mary

> > > <faith@binaryfun.com> 29/08/2008 10:01 am >>>
Sorry all to chime in with a different tangent but it's been my
unfortunate and sad lot in life to have done several Groupwise to
Exchange
conversions over the last few years and I highly recommend the Qwest
migration tool - it's like 10bucks a mailbox and they do a pretty
decent
job of making it less painful (used to be called wingra). As a
consultant
who bills by the hour on these things, it's not in my interest to use
3rd party tool - but I've done it without and with, and I'm much more
interested in the migration going well than billing tons of hours, so
tell my clients upfront that they should just pony up for the tool.

(no, I'm not a shill for qwest - it's just the best one I have used,
and
I've done some thorny, nasty, cranky user base migrations)

Sorry to see you leaving GW because Exchange is a whole other ball of
wax
and is much more of a drama queen than even GWIA is ;-)

> Hi Tom and Paul
>
> Paul - thank you again - !
>
> Tom - I'd love any information anyone can supply.  You can send to
me
> offline of you like.
> Many thanks in advance.
> Mary
>

> Mary Boland
> Senior Messaging Analyst
>
> Ph: 02 95523215
> Fax:
> Mob: 0411300350
> St George Bank
> Ground Floor, 4-16 Montgomery Street, Kogarah 2217
> Email: bolandm@stgeorge.com.au
>
> St.George Bank- Good with people. Good with money.
> www.stgeorge.com.au ( http://stgeorge.com.au/ )

> Paul, that's interesting that it was recommended to you to route
mail
> first to Exchange then to GroupWise.  When I did a migration a few
years
> back we used the API gateway and the Exchange connector (Exchange
2000
> at the time).  We had it set up just like your shop:  users in
Exchange
> [...]
> doing reply, re-type the address, as the return path *sometimes"
failed
> (it was too long).
>
> I have some old docs on how I set it up if anyone really wants some
> boring reading.
>
> Tom

> Good.  Pick up the penny.
>
> Exchange shouldn't have the problem, because it would receive the
email
> and push it through the connector, which knows about Exchange.  (I
say
> shouldn't because we never got to try rerouting all of our email
from
> the internet from going to GroupWise first to Exchange first.  Aside
> from the budget issue for Exchange, making that move, even
temporarily,
> would risk losing email.  We truly need to test the entire
redirection
> in email flow in a lab environment first).
>
> Again, the sex appeal is to go to Exchange 2007.  Both connectors (MS
&
> Novell) work directly with Exchange 2003.  That means that if your
users
> are on the Exchange 2007 servers, you will not able to perform busy
> searches from GroupWise against their calendars.  So if busy search
is
> critical, you may have to stage your users in Exchange 2003 until
> they're all there, then move them all up to Exchange 2007 (using the
> Powershell, you could spread the users out evenly amongst your
servers).
> By rerouting the SMTP email to Exchange first, if there is no user
> account for the recipient in question but there is a contact, the
email
> should go through the connector and over to the GroupWise user.
>
> Bottom line, test, test, test.
>
> Paul Caron, CNE, MCSE
> Messaging Architect
> Maine Medical Center
> caronp@mmc.org
> 207-662-6666
>

> The Red Green Show quotes
>
> "If it ain't broke, don't lend it."
>
> "If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you
> handy!"

> wrote:
> Thanks again Paul - NOW the penny has dropped!  I see what you
mean!!
> Sorry to be a bit slow...
>
> I know nothing about Exchange - but wouldn't it have the same
problem:
> Our GW users would be contacts in Exchange also?  Wouldn't the
connector
> still have the same problem coming from Exchange?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Mary

> My issue that we saw was that the internet email could not make it
> through the MS Connector at all.  The headers are not what the
connector
> expects and it gets confused and won't deliver the email to the
Exchange
> [...]
> during the time when the connector was built.
>
> The way the connector worked in our configuration was that the GWIA
> would have an email for user@mydomain.com and look it up in the
> GroupWise address book, found it as a GroupWise contact (black and
white
> user icon in ConsoleOne), pointing to the Exchange connector and
sending
> the email through the MS Connector.  The connector, not knowing
about
> internet email (or email originating outside of GroupWise), doesn't
know
> how to process the email with the headers as they are and fails to
> deliver it.
>
> The recommendation was to pipe ALL internet email to Exchange first
and
> then have it route it over to GroupWise if the user does not exist
on
> Exchange.
>
> All so much fun!
>
> Paul Caron, CNE, MCSE
> Messaging Architect
> Maine Medical Center
> caronp@mmc.org
> 207-662-6666
>

> The Red Green Show quotes
>
> "If it ain't broke, don't lend it."
>
> "If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you
> handy!"

> wrote:
> Thanks Paul,
> We plan on using the MS connector at this stage (though we are still
in
> the investigation stage).  We will also use Quest for migration.
> As for incoming internet email, unless I'm missing something,
"forward
> all undeliverables" at the GWIA should work:
> eg  bolandm@mydomain.com  is migrated to Exchange - this user is no
> longer a part of the GW system.  When an internet email arrives at
the
> GWIA for this user it will be forwarded to Exchange for delivery and
> then hopefully delivered as this is now an Exchange user.
>
> Of course you do raise the very good point of "internal email that
did
> not originate from within GroupWise".  Not sure how to handle that
one -
> will the GWIA treat it as undeliverable and forward to Exchange?
>
> Eventually we will point all incoming email to Exchange.
>
> Mary

> Which connector are you going to use?  Novell's or Microsoft's?
> Microsoft's will allow you to use Quest's migration software, but
can't
> deliver internet email to Exchange users without redirecting
internet
> email (our two Exchange users received NO internet email during the
test
> period - that also included internal email that did not originate
from
> within GroupWise, like our email from the Helpdesk software).
Novell's
> will do much better, properly configured, but has not been tested
with
> the Quest software.
>
> Paul
>
> Paul Caron, CNE, MCSE
> Messaging Architect
> Maine Medical Center
> caronp@mmc.org
> 207-662-6666
>

> The Red Green Show quotes
>
> "If it ain't broke, don't lend it."
>
> "If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you
> handy!"

> wrote:
> Hi Paul and Tom...
>
> Thanks very much for the feedback.
>
> I was planning to retain the Internet infrastructure as is for the
> moment and add the switch "forward all undeliverables" in the GWIA
> deliver incoming internet email to users we have moved to Exchange.
>
> Of course at some stage we would need to point all internet mail to
> Exchange - but in the initial stages we will have many more
GroupWise
> users than Exchange users - we have 10,000 users.
> Do you think this approach is ok?
> Thanks
> Mary

> I think when I did a migration a few years ago we created contacts
in
> Active Directory for the connector to find.  That worked well enough
but
> really messed up the return path.  And the Exchange side kept halting
on
> "bad" messages.  So every 30 minutes or so we had to manually check
the
> queue to be sure it was not stuck.

> Hi Mary.  The article you mention is really great and goes step by
step
> very well.  Here's the main drawback of using the deployment as
> specified in that article:
>
> It requires the Microsoft GroupWise connector, which uses the
GroupWise

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/migration-deployment/groupwise-exchange-2007-interoperability-migration-part1.html

> Regards
> Mary

> The CoolSolutions article was published today:

http://www.novell.com/communities/node/5073/groupwise-7-migration-exchange-2007-Ã \
¢Ã‚€Â"-notes-failed-migration

> Sorry to keep beating this story out, but I don't want to see
someone
> else in the same predicament, if they can avoid it.
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message, including any
attachments,
> is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only and may contain
> information that is privileged, confidential, and prohibited from
> unauthorized disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
> intended recipient of this message, any dissemination, distribution,
or
> copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this
> message in error, please notify the sender by reply email and
destroy
> all copies of the original message and attachments.
>

> *** This is an automatically appended message from St. George ITP.
If
https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/wQw0zmjPoHdJTZGyOCrrhg==

--
Visit http://www.ngwlist.com ( http://www.ngwlist.com/ ) for help