List:       ngw
Subject:    Re: [ngw] Novell direction for GroupWise agents
From:       "Matt Ray" <mray () gwguru ! com>
Date:       2007-04-27 18:49:43

Count yourself lucky on the moves.  :-)    I understand what you did and it makes \
sense.   I would have opted for an hour of downtime rather than coordinating 200 user \
schedules.   Sounds like way too much work for me.    Glad it all worked out.
Matt

> > > On 4/27/2007 at 11:43 AM, <ngw@ngwlist.com> wrote:
I chose to do the user moves because I was given NO downtime to work with. In order \
to keep the system up and running for everyone except the users being actively moved, \
I chose to set up the second PO and do moves. I then was able to work on the moves \
during my normal work hours and avoided a weekend or evening event. I only had 200 \
users to move so this kept me busy coordinating with them for a few weeks but was \
do-able in my case. I like your dbcopy method as it seems like it would be much \
faster and cleaner in the end. BTW I had no issues when moving the users from PO to \
PO other than a few hung messages that needed a resend :)

Jim Schick
Office of Judicial Administration
State of Kansas

> > > On 4/25/2007 at 12:05 PM, in message <462F27EF.CD65.004F.0@gwguru.com>, "Matt \
> > > Ray" <mray@gwguru.com> wrote:
I just read through your instructions on migrating GroupWise to Windows.   Most of it \
looks good, but there's no reason for you to do user moves unless you simply like \
potential pain and down time for your users.   I just did a migration from 1 netware \
server to a newer netware server and I didn't do 1 user move.   There is really no \
difference between these 2 migrations other than you're going to windows rather than \
netware.   I would follow the directions below up until the part where you created a \
2ndary domain and post office on the new server.   Once you have GroupWise installed \
on the new server or even before you have groupwise installed on the new server, \
simply do a dbcopy from the netware server to the windows server of your domain and \
post office.   Dbcopy can be run while you're users are in groupwise.   It won't \
cause any down time.    Once it's completed (hopefully near the end of the day, or \
even right before lunch) take the post office down and do a final dbcopy (depending \
on the size, it shouldn't take too long as it will only copy those files that have \
been updated since the last dbcopy).    During this copy process I would have \
installed the GroupWise agents on the Windows server pointing them to the directories \
where you're copying the domain and post office to.    Once the the final dbcopy \
completes you simply bring up the agents on the windows server and you're done.    \
I've done this with as little as 2 minutes of downtime.
There are a few tricks that you could use on the migration.    If you can't port the \
old ip address with you to the new server, you'll need to provide redirection to the \
new post office for your users.   This can be accomplished in 2 ways.
1.  ngwgnameserver is a dns entry you add to your dns as a cname, pointing to the new \
groupwise post office.   when the client comes up, if it can't find the agent \
listening on the old ip address it automatically does a dns query for ngwnameserver.  \
If it finds it, they're in.     The only down side to this is the client sometimes \
takes a minute or two to time out before it jumps to looking up ngwnameserver.    An \
alternative which has zero timeout is next.....
2.  Another way is to create a dummy post office on the old server.    The dummy post \
office (i typically call it Dummy) will have redirection information in its  tables \
and as soon as anybody tries to reconnect to the old ip address they'll find the \
dummy post office waiting for them and it will immediately redirect them to the new \
location.    This ip address information is typically written to the registry so that \
once the workstation client has been redirected once, it will remember the new \
location.   So, after a few days you can typically delete the Dummy post office and \
you're done.   I would still put the ngwnameserver in place for any stragglers that \
try to login for the first time after you've deleted the dummy post office, but most \
of them would have already logged in by now.
3.  Another trick is to change the path of the domain and post office (don't forget \
the mta and poa log file paths) as well as the IP address information right before \
you take them down for the final time from the old server.    Watch the MTA and POA \
and make sure they actually get this information updated (you'll see the mta close \
the post office) before you take them down.   Once they're down, you do the final \
dbcopy, which copies over the updated information as well, and then when you bring \
the domain and post office up on the new server, they're already expecting to be \
exactly where they're at.    If you don't do this, when you bring them up on the new \
server, you've got to monkey around with them to get them to act nicely.
Anyway, I hope that helps with the migration.   user moves aren't all bad, but I'd \
prefer not having to do them unless it's absolutely necessary.    Case in point, I \
just spoke to a sheriff's department who did a bunch of user moves.   Most of them \
went across flawlessly.   However, 1 user ended up losing all of his mail.   There \
are ways you can try to avoid these types of issues, but sometimes user moves reach \
out and grab you.    Of course, make sure you have a backup of your post office \
before doing user moves as they will help you recover if a problem does occur.
Oh, and one last thing.   It probably doesn't matter that much, but I prefer doing \
the upgrade in place before I move the post office and domain over.   That's probably \
one of those 6 or 1/2 dozen things, though.    Not sure if there's really an \
advantage in the migration I described.   If you're doing user moves, however, I \
always like to do them with the latest version of the software rather than an older \
version.     That 1 patch on the newer version may have addressed a user move issue \
from an older release of the software.
Forgive my verbosity.

Matt

Matt Ray
MC Consulting - GroupWiseGuru.com
MCNE, LPI, CNS
mray@gwguru.com
661.885.2699 - Office
661.599.3416 - Cell
866.869.9654 - eFax
AIM ID: mateoray
SkypeID, MSN & Yahoo!: mraymus
http://www.GroupWiseGuru.com ( http://www.groupwiseguru.com/ )

> > > On 4/24/2007 at 12:14 PM, <ngw@ngwlist.com> wrote:
I was hired into my current position a year ago for the purpose of managing the \
network and moving the GroupWise system from Netware to Windows under the same \
umbrella of simplification. There was nobody on staff who knew Netware or Linux, only \
Windows.

You're going to have to install eDirectory for Windows on at least one Windows \
server, although I'd recommend two or three for replication purposes. I don't use \
identity management to tie eDir to active directory but you can set that up as well \
or use LDAP to do this. I've got two servers running Groupwise, one is my post office \
and mta (and GWMonitor), the other is my gateway server which runs GWIA and WebAccess \
and a secondary domain MTA.

We didn't go with SUSE because that did not simplify our OS structure and training \
would have been needed for several support staff. I've asked the question at \
GroupWise Summit in the past about making GroupWise independent of eDirectory so it \
can be used by by any directory system, be it Active Directory, eDirectory, LDAP, or \
some other directory system and the engineers said they are looking at doing that in \
the future.

My GroupWise system running on Windows has been rock solid since upgrading over 7 \
months ago. I only have to stop the servers to apply MS patches. I've not had to deal \
with defragmenting issues which might come in the future.

Here's what I did to migrate from Netware to Windows:

Build the Windows Server 2003 server, patch and update.
Upgrade your eDir version on your current Netware servers to the minimum version for \
GW7 support. Install that same version of eDir for windows and set up replication on \
your new Windows server. Install any Identity management to tie together eDir and \
Active Directory accounts (I don't use this) Install GroupWise 6.5 on new Windows \
Server, creating a secondary domain and post office (these will become your primaries \
later) (I have my MTA and POA agents running on one server and my Gateway agents \
running on another) You can now begin to move your GW user accounts from the old post \
office to the new post office. Once all users are moved from your old post office, \
you can promote your new secondary domain to be the primary and go through the \
process of removing the original post office and domain from your GW system and from \
the server. You can continue to use your current GWIA and WebAccess agents on the old \
Netware server during this transitioning time, then move those as well. I moved mine \
over to the new server temporarily, while I rebuilt the original netware server into \
a Windows Server 2003 server, then recreated the gateway agents there in their own \
secondary domain. Once the whole system was transitioned to Windows servers, I \
performed the GW7.0 upgrade.

> > > "Paul Caron" <CARONP@mmc.org> 4/23/2007 12:48 PM >>>
My new boss has just uttered a decree to move our GroupWise system to Windows Servers \
from NetWare servers, under the umbrella of simplification.  With our current \
implementation of Identity Management, we don't have any hooks into GroupWise yet.  \
My concerns are:

I'm not currently supporting GroupWise under any Windows Environment (the web access \
piece is managed by our WebTeam).  Everything else is on NetWare.  Any words of \
advice in planning this migration?  Make the assumption that I don't have a choice in \
this discussion.

In our current setup, we have a number of servers that house two post offices or \
more.  Is this permissible with Windows Agents?

With Novell's direction with SUSE, should I be advocating this direction instead?  \
Everything that I've heard from Novell employees seems to indicate a strong emphasis \
on SUSE.  If my director's focus is on simplification, adding another OS probably \
won't be considered.  Does going away from SUSE have drawbacks by going solely with \
Windows as a GroupWise server platform?

Paul Caron, CNE, MCSE
Maine Medical Center
caronpNOMO@SPAMmmc.org

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message, including any attachments, is for the \
use of the intended recipient(s) only and may contain information that is privileged, \
confidential, and prohibited from unauthorized disclosure under applicable law.  If \
you are not the intended recipient of this message, any dissemination, distribution, \
or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in \
error, please notify the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original \
message and attachments.