List:       ngw
Subject:    Re: [ngw] Open Relay Confusion
From:       "Danita Zanre" <danita () caledonia ! net>
Date:       2006-01-31 2:41:35

Okay - first of all, let's make some definitions.  Relaying is the attempt to send \
mail to a user not recognized by an email server from an outside source.  So, \
attaching to an smtp server and sending mail to someone on that system is not \
"relaying" - it's delivering mail - that's how all SMTP servers talk to each other.  \
An "open" relay allows some or all IP addresses/users to relay mail through the \
server without authenticating - this is bad.  An "authenticated" relay is very \
similar to what every ISP out there does - i.e., requires that you tell the smtp \
server who you are before you relay through, by supplying a valid userid/password \
combination.  This is not considered "open relay" and is the "norm" for ISP type of \
email out there (i.e., not users on a proprietary system like GW, Exchange, AOL, \
etc.).

So, here's the deal.  It's possible that your 6.5.1 client has either some bad relay \
exceptions or is an open relay.  You should not be able to do any "unauthenticated" \
relay from any 6.0 or later GWIA if relay is turned off.  What you can do is \
authenticate.  This just requires that you put a gw userid and password in the smtp \
authentication fields for your email client.

Hope this helps.

Danita

> > > JBenson@five-startech.com 01/30/06 7:17 PM >>>
Good Evening!
     First -  thank you all for the suggestions on spam solutions -  I am
looking into all the suggestions I received to make a good cost
effective recommendation.  I have another question for you all about the
infamous open relay subject matter.  I have one client who is running
6.5.5 GWIA code and the environment is completely locked down in regards
to message relaying.  Therefore, when I telnet to the GWIA IP address on
port 25 and try to send a message I continually get a 550 Relaying
Denied message.

I then have another client who is on 6.5.1 code who I can relay messages
off their system internally all day long.  Occasionally I will get one
550 Relaying Denied message, but then I can issue the RCPT TO: command
again w/ the exact same information and it will go through.  I also
noticed the same activity on a GroupWise 7 GWIA this morning.

On the GroupWise 7 GWIA it appeared I could only relay messages to an
email account w/in the system.  Is relaying allowed from the local
network if the RCPT TO: line is an email account on the local GroupWise
system?  I could relay in that regard all day long, but if I tried to
supply an email address outside of the GroupWise system I would then
continually get the 550 Relaying Denied message.

Overall -  I guess I am just confused on how denying mail relay is
supposed to work in GroupWise.  I have 6.5.5 code that is locked down
from the inside and outside.  I have 6.5.1 code that appears to relay
anything, and then 7.0 code that appears to relay only to local
GroupWise accounts.  Can someone shed some light on the matter?

TIA!

---
Thanks,
Jim Benson