List:       ngw
Subject:    Re: [ngw] GW651 RAID 5 or RAID 10 perfomance on SAN
From:       Randy Grein <randygrein () comcast ! net>
Date:       2005-07-30 3:07:36

Level 1,0 is no longer considered to be a 'complex' arrangement; it
was one of the configurations I was originally talking about. (You
refer to it as 1+0; both are correct but it is generally possible to
configure as a mirrored strip set - bad - or a striped mirror set,
good.) You are correct regarding the number of spindles being the
overriding factor but incorrect in the assumption that mirrored
drives are capable of alternating access. That is entirely dependent
on the controller algorithm and there are well-known cases where
simultaneous access is designed in - something mentioned in your
second reference, although it does utter the mistaken pronouncement
that RAID 5 has "Highest Read data transaction rate". I wouldn't put
too much faith in that particular reference; while much of the
information is correct some is rather out of date. Odd, considering
the section on SATA RAID... . You might check out the original RAID
paper at Berkley; there is a second one titled RAID II that I used in
an article on the subject about 8 years ago. You can find the RAID II
paper here: http://www.cse.ucsc.edu/~elm/Papers/vlsidesign93.pdf .
Here's a pointer to some earlier work; note that it calls out a
different RAID 6 than uses that name today and references a
questionable RAID 7 level.

You need to correct your second paragraph, BTW. The SCSI command set
allows for a number of performance-enhancing features such as command-
tag queuing. In other words, multiple requests can be made, the drive
will resort the order as necessary and service the requests in the
most efficient fashion. This is essentially the same concept as
Novell's elevator seeking. Command tag queuing is just starting to
come into play in SATA drives but in general it can be assumed that
the RAID controller will handle reordering and multiplexing requests.
If an array had to wait for last block retrieval before requesting
the next block performance would be poor indeed.

Randy Grein, Master CNE, CCNA