List:       ngw
Subject:    Re: [ngw] Norton Gateway and GWGuardian
From:       "Tim Malloy" <TMALLOY () cscc ! edu>
Date:       2004-03-31 18:21:47

I asked about MYSQL at BS and they didn't say it wouldn't work.  They
just said it is unsupported.

Tim

>>> dennis.large@louisville.edu 3/31/2004 11:46:57 AM >>>
Maybe someone can tell me if my concerns about that are valid.
Notifylink has the same setup. You can start with MSDE, but if
supporting more than a dozen or so devices, they recommend moving up
full SQL.
That tells me that MSDE has severe performance limits. Given the load
the an active gwguardian installation would have, doesn't seem like it
would perform well.

Grain of salt: I don't do Windows, or at least not very well. And my
abilities with SQL doesn't extend much pass spelling it.

>>> Tony.Vissoc@kodakversamark.com 3/31/2004 11:17:54 AM >>>
According to their web site, you can use MSDE and they give
instructions
on setting it up...

Tony

>>> TMALLOY@cscc.edu 3/30/2004 6:28:09 PM >>>
I actually use SQL server 2k.  You need the full SQL 2k because there
is
a script that is downloadable and you need the Query Analyzer part of
it
to add the necessary fields for keeping spam and all in the
quarantine.

There is a free download on http://gwtools.com for the SQL statements
necessary to create the SQL fields.  When I started I had a retention
of
5 days and send reports every other day - which in our case meant that
users got 2-3 notices for spam currently in the quarantine.  After
talking with most users, I now allow them 4 days or 2 quarantine
messages before Guardian deletes the messages.  My spam quarantine
usually runs around 125,000-130,000 messages in at any point in time.
The SQL DB ends up at about 350-400 megs in size on the disk.  I don't
know where they keep attachments, but I'm sure it takes more space.  I
currently use about 9 gigs of my 70 gigs on the disk with OS and all.

Tim

>>> DRAKED@upstate.edu 3/30/2004 1:49:31 PM >>>
Tim,

Do you use the msde solution on the guardian box to handle your
quarantine?
 What sort of retention rules do you have in place, and how large is
your
quarantine?

Thanks,

Dawn

>>> TMALLOY@cscc.edu 3/29/04 8:33:15 PM >>>
Lately on my busy GWGuardian, I've been seeing 31,000 messages per day
in the spam quarantine with about 8,000 messages being delivered per
day
although it goes up and down depending on the time of the quarter.  I
usually see about 3500 viruses in addition.

Tim

>>> Michael.Strain@TRW.COM 3/29/2004 3:20:19 PM >>>
Tim,

What kind of volume does your GWGuardian do per day ?

Michael Strain
TRW

>>> tmalloy@cscc.edu 3/27/2004 10:15:37 AM >>>

I use GWGuardian and I also echo Mark's sentiments.  I've never agreed
before to have a published testimonial as well.  GWGuardian is a
super-solid server and since version 3, I have never had to touch it.
It gets its updates and I have had users that get 200 spam mails/day
drop to maybe 2/week.

Tim Malloy
GroupWise/Netmail Administrator
Columbus State Community College

>>> MBARHAM@ci.williamsburg.va.us 03/26/04 4:18 PM >>>
Ill echo the same sentiments on Guardian.  It is the only product I
have
ever agreed to write a published testimonial for.

Mark Barham, CNE
Information Systems Manager
City of Williamsburg
401 Lafayette St.
Williamsburg, VA 23185
eMail:  mbarham@ci.williamsburg.va.us

>>> robert.macnutt@nghs.com 3/26/2004 3:46:36 PM >>>
We LOVE GWGuardian.  Never messed with the Symantec product,
but considering their track record as a software vendor in
general, I'd rather not do business with them anyway.
(they're currenty #5 on Ed Foster's "Hall of Shame".)

>>> TDailly@ena.org 3/26/2004 3:05:00 PM >>>

Many thanks to everyone for their replies to my previous
question. Based
on your responses, I now understand this a little better.
Unfortunately,
I have more questions. After doing some investigating, it
would appear I
have some options on setting up a SMTP Gateway. I've
narrowed it down to
Symantec's AV for SMTP Gateway and GWGuardian. Both
products sit before
GWIA and appear to accomplish the same basic function. Has
anyone done
this investigation before and can you provide any insight
in to the
pro's and con's of using these products? Thanks again for
all your
help.

Tom Dailly
Emergency Nurses Assn
Des Plaines, IL

The HIPAA Privacy Rule requires covered entities to safeguard certain
Protected Health Information (PHI) related to a person's healthcare.
Information being sent to you may include PHI, after appropriate
consent, acknowledgment, or authorization from the patient or under
circumstances that do not require patient authorization.  You, the
recipient, are obligated to maintain PHI in a safe and secure manner.
You may not re-disclose this patient information without additional
patient consent or as required by law.  Unauthorized re-disclosure or
failure to safeguard PHI could subject us, or you, to penalties
described in federal (HIPAA) and state law.  If you, the reader of
this
message, are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, please notify us
immediately and destroy the related message.  Thanks for your help.