List:       ngw
Subject:    Re: [ngw] fault-tolerant webaccess
From:       "Dawn Drake" <DRAKED () upstate ! edu>
Date:       2003-01-31 16:00:41

Danita - when you say that you use round-robin DNS are you using an appliance to do this or can dns be configured to go from one host to the next?

Thanks,

Dawn

>>> Tim.Killmer@parkview.com 1/30/03 8:32:33 AM >>>
We use the Novonyx server in our cluster, but run it from the sys volume
on two servers.  GWINTER (The GW Interface Agent) is part of the
resource that fails over.  The application, Java Servletts, stay and run
with the Novonyx server.  However, I will be looking into Danita's
suggestion, since we still have troubles at times migrating the
Webaccess resource.

>>> Holly.Newman@KJMAIL.COM 1/29/2003 6:19:25 PM >>>
No matter how hard I try, and how much I read, I can't wrap my brain
around which is the agent and which is the application.

>>> danita@caledonia.net 01/29/03 03:05PM >>>
Most sites I work with have "redundant" WebAccess servers with
round-robin DNS type stuff.  The agents are on the cluster, but not
the
WA "Application"

Danita

>>> Holly.Newman@KJMAIL.COM 1/29/2003 3:59:58 PM >>>
Apache is very server-centric.  Novell Consulting spent some time
trying
to get it to work, and it was still unreliable on failover.  They
(novell) should really come up with a strategy that works and document
it.  I'm not the only one on this list that has given up...

>>> Arnaud@dartmouth.ccfne.ns.ca 01/29/03 01:00PM >>>
hope it will help,

http://developer.novell.com/research/ebooks/Dec2002.pdf

Any reasons why you gave up on installing WA on your cluster?

Arnaud

Arnaud Goupillière, CNE 4-5-6, MCSE+I
Administrateur Réseaux et GroupWare
Collège de l'Acadie

>>> Holly.Newman@KJMAIL.COM 01/29/03 05:06PM >>>
Now that we have officially given up on installing WebAccess on our
cluster, can anybody point me to white papers, App Notes,
documentation,
articles or TIDs on effective ways of building WebAccess with fault
tolerance?

Thanks,

Holly Newman, MCNE
Network Services Manager