List:       ngw
Subject:    Re: QuickIndexer question
From:       "Mark Puchalski" <mpuchalski () couzens ! com>
Date:       2000-01-27 21:43:14

I think if you have a dedicated indexing POA, it's supposed to be on a separate \
server.  If you read the docs on setting this config up, it does say to place it on \
it's own server, and connect it to the main POA on a dedicated segment.

> > > HNewman@oacis.com 01/27/00 04:26PM >>>
Is your Indexing POA on a separate server?  Because I've heard from Novell engineers \
that running two POAs on the same server, even if configured for different tasks, \
actually hits the server harder than combining the functions into one...

Holly

> > > vcande@cl-law.com 01/27/00 12:09PM >>>
In GW 5.5 Ctrl Shift Q regenerates the QF indexes and causes alot of disk I/O and \
processor intensive work.  We have a separate POA that just does indexing, and the QF \
indexing is turned off on the POA that handles the email and DMS requests.

> > > "Tom Miller" <tom.miller@ferc.fed.us> 01/27/00 02:08PM >>>
If you have 5.5.x you can tell the NLM when to do the indexing.  We have 5.2, so I \
can only specify the interval.  At least on 5.2.4, it hammers the server when \
indexing is run, hence you'd want to run it off hours.  I assume it still does the \
same in 5.5.

Tom

> > > "Holly Newman" <HNewman@oacis.com> 1/27/2000 1:33:53 PM >>>
I've just activated the QuickIndexer for the first time (using <ctrl-Q).  I got \
scared off by the abends of the earlier versions, and have just gotten back to \
looking at (because I'm looking at WebPublisher, and it's required for that).  That \
said, it's hammering my server because it's indexing everything for the first time.  \
So this question is this: will subsequent index operations just index the changes? or \
will it start from scratch and hammer my server for hours again?

Holly

                                                                                      \

This message is a private communication.  If you are not the intended
to others.  Please notify the sender of the delivery error by replying
to this message, and then delete it from your system.  Thank you.