List:       nextgen-online
Subject:    [Nextgen-online] RE: Empirically based teaching methods
From:       rsain () wsu ! edu (Sain, Ryan Christopher)
Date:       2005-11-30 22:03:53

Good stuff!

Paul - I'm not sure we are actually talking about different things. In
fact, I tend to agree with what you have stated. You described things in
observable terms - not hypothetical ones - very good.

Your example is s good one. Let me explain how it fits with the current
understanding of behavior. Training+Experience. This is exactly correct,
although one could argue that training is experience. Here is where we
need to include the idea of generalization (a concept based on
observation, not philosophy). My car, on a given patch of ice will
behave in a given way. I experience this and modify my behavior to
match. But next year, the snow is a little different, I'm on a different
road, in a different country. Generalization (stimulus generalization)
addresses how one behaves in this instance. Of course, once the old
behavior is used under these new conditions - some things will likely be
modified by the new experience.

Practical knowledge is a term that describes the ability to do something
- rather than just describe it. So, again, I agree! By the way - were
you in my chemistry lab - I've had a similar experience!~ :-)

- Ryan