List:       nextgen-online
Subject:    [Nextgen-online] Default groups
From:       joabrahams () uwc ! ac ! za (Jonathan Abrahams)
Date:       2004-09-29 12:21:45

Derek,
Since we want a general type of solution, the default groups will be Admininstrators \
group with the admin user assigned, and the Guests group with all newly registered \
users being assigned to it.

Any modules requiring other groups will need to create those groups as they need \
them.  Example the context module will be responsible for creating the Lectures and \
Students groups. This will mean that a context module will alway be associated with \
lectures and students, will this be correct?

Jonathan

> > > dkeats@uwc.ac.za 09/29/04 12:18PM >>>
There may be other kinds of rights that lecturers may wish to change, for example, \
giving a third year student rights to mark assignments for second year students. \
Remember, the framework may be used for things other than e-learning, so thinking of \
lecturers and students may limit our choices. It must be more general than that. \
cheers derek

> > > joabrahams@uwc.ac.za 09/29/04 11:23 AM >>>
So according to one of Dereks use cases the Lecturer should have the right edit these \
users they created. This means that the User admin module should check this \
permission.(James)

This will be a one step procedure then
1) register user, check the Lecturers current course, and then assign to the user to \
Student->CourseX->[studentY] |-+ Students
  |-+ CourseX
    |-[studentY]

> > > Wesley Nitsckie 09/29/04 11:08AM >>>
option 2

> > > Jonathan Abrahams 09/29/04 11:05AM >>>
Wes

When you say register users, do you mean:
1)the user is on the database, and will be assigned to the group students, or
2)the user is not on the database, and the lecturer create the users account and then \
assigns them to the group.

Jonathan

> > > Wesley Nitsckie 09/29/04 11:01AM >>>
Lecturers can also register users. This users will  automatically be students. If the \
lecturer is in a course the students will automatically be  added to that course.

> > > joabrahams@uwc.ac.za 09/29/04 09:33AM >>>
As per Wes:
1)User registering is automatically assigned to the Guest group.
2)Admin User upgrades Guest user to Lecture.
3)Lecture User upgrades Guest user to Student.

Wes is this what you mean?

Jonathan
> > > joabrahams@uwc.ac.za 09/29/04 09:16AM >>>
Hi All,

I am ready to integrate the groupsadmin module into KNG. I need to know what the \
defaults should be. Next I will need to know the policies for group administration, \
the permissions for groupadmin will need to be setup as well.

Groupadmin Module:
Precondition: Admin user will be a valid user on the system.
Postcondition: Default groups are available after registering the module.

The admin user is assigned to the Administrators group when the module is first \
registered.

GROUPADMIN
> -+ Administrators
> > - [admin]