List:       nextgen-online
Subject:    [Nextgen-online] Design intention for DBTable subclasses
From:       sean () datamage ! net (Sean Legassick)
Date:       2004-04-28 22:32:48

In message <s08fe37d.033@Services-02.uwc.ac.za>, Derek Keats
<dkeats@uwc.ac.za> writes
>One question though, what happens when we need to access complex joins?
>I guess that is normally associated with viewing data, so it can be in
>the class that
>uses it. Am I right?

It's a very good question. But yes, most complex joins are conceptually
retrieving data from a primary table, and then supplementing that with
data from ancillary tables. In that case the class for the primary table
would have the code. It's difficult to lay down exact rules, but it
should usually be evident for a given case where the code belongs.

Complex joins are exactly the kind of thing where having the select in a
shared object so it can be easily reused is invaluable.

--
Sean Legassick
sean@datamage.net