List:       newtontalk
Subject:    Re: [NTLK] ethernet woes
From:       Forrest <newton_phoenix () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2016-07-12 5:42:27

Hi Will,

I am able to go online with a wide variety of Apple and Mac products—Mac SE/30, \
Apple IIgs and IIc, and of course my Newton MP2100s are a few. What I've found is \
that often the best way to get online is to use hardware and software from around the \
same timeframe as the machines you are trying to connect.

I'd suggest you try to find a router that's a little older, perhaps a more vintage \
Linksys G or similar. I connect my Newts through an older Airport Express (the \
smaller square white one, A1084) which easily allows WEP connection and has rarely \
ever given me trouble. (I used to travel with it years ago when my work required \
overnight stays in hotels, many of which were not yet equipped with WiFi.)

I have a more recent Zyxel wireless modem that was provided me by CenturyLink for my \
DSL…I've physically connected the Airport Express to it (CAT5--or whatever--cable), \
created a wireless network thereon...the Newts then connect directly to that.

There has been over the years some concern about WEP and how it's not as secure as \
the newer networks. At one time I used MAC filtering to help secure it; recently I \
have just turned off the SSID broadcasting. As someone else pointed out here, is \
there anything of any great value on these older machines you're connecting to WEP \
that anyone could really want?

This way you could set up a newer more secure router for your normal Internet \
traffic, and a separate WEP network for the PB, eMate and Newts.

Hope this helps.

Forrest