List:       newtontalk
Subject:    Re: [NTLK] The internal store's signature has been altered. A hard	reset may correct the problem.
From:       Paul Guyot <pguyot () kallisys ! net>
Date:       2014-11-26 8:37:05

> Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 00:31:28 +0100
> From: "Frank Gruendel" <newtontalk@pda-soft.de>
>
> Hi folks,
>
> has anyobody ever seen this message on his Newton? If you have, do you
> remember what caused it?
>
> I came across this message a couple of minutes ago while testing a 2100
> whose mainboard's RAM chips I have replaced with those from an organ donor
> board. Since said board is also a 2100 board, the actual hardware hasn't
> changed.
>
> NewtTest reports the Newton's serial number to be 0000 0000 0000 0000, which
> I haven't seen ever before. Apart from that, the Newton works hunky dory.
>
> I assume these two phenomena are related, since according to

Frank,

Indeed, this might be related to the serial number issue. I believe the message \
occurs whenever information on first blocks of the internal flash does not match what \
is expected. The serial number might be written on flash, the ROM checksum definitely \
is. This could be tested with Einstein by altering the serial number. Einstein's \
NewtonID is hardcoded to be "Newton". I don't remember exactly what happened when the \
NewtonID changed but probably such an alert popped up.

Paul
--
Semiocast            http://semiocast.com/
+33.183627948 - 20 rue Lacaze, 75014 Paris