List:       newtontalk
Subject:    Re: [NTLK] Battery life w/ Einstein
From:       Matthias Melcher <mm () matthiasm ! com>
Date:       2014-06-12 9:50:18

On Apr 21, 2014, at 6:50 PM, Lord Groundhog <lordgroundhog@gmail.com> wrote:

> ~~~ On 2014/04/17 20:42, Mr Jonathan Dueck at jonathandueck@yahoo.com wrote
> ~~~
>
> > Hi, all!
> > I'm curious: is anyone using Einstein as a "daily driver" on their Android,
> > iOS device, or Windows/Linux tablet? I keep imagining trying this out, but
> > haven't taken the plunge yet--beyond installing Einstein and fiddling with it
> > a little on my phone & Mac. But if you've tried it out as your go-to
> > scheduling / note-taking etc. device, and have thoughts on usability or on
> > battery life, I'd love to hear it!
> > -Jon

> I'll second the interest in this question.  I've recently upgraded my phone
> to a Samsung Note 3.  It comes with a stylus and it makes a real attempt at
> making sense of one's handwriting.  If I'd never used my MP2100 I probably
> would think it was pretty good, but after the Newton, it just feels so
> ignorant.  It can't be taught to recognize handwriting, it doesn't always
> recognize spaces between words, it insists on making the same mistakes over
> and over even with the commonest words (again, not learning), and not all
> apes can be relied upon to do the same thing with written input.
>
> I guess I'll need to put up with the handset a little longer since I can't
> really afford to change it, but if I at least could somehow make this phone
> Newtonian next time I replace it, that would give me something to look
> forward to.

For every instruction in the original NewtonOS, Einstein runs about 200 to 300 \
instructions on the host machine, needing about 200 to 300 times as much power. Then \
again, during sleep cycles (and NewtonOS makes great use of all kinds of power naps \
and sleep cycles), the emulator is smart enough to let the host system sleep as well. \

So as long as you do simple stuff (like viewing the calendar), battery usage should \
be reasonable. If you use the CPU a lot (hand-writing a novel), the impact will be \
                quite big.