List:       newtontalk
Subject:    [NTLK]  Speech recognition.
From:       "Joel M. Sciamma" <joel () inventors-emporium ! co ! uk>
Date:       2012-03-25 23:50:27

Last week I started using Dragon Dictate for the Mac because it was on offer in a \
clearance sale and I was curious to see how this technology had moved on after all \
the disappointments of the past.

I was one of the founders to contribute a small amount to MacSpeech when they started \
up but until they adopted the Nuance engine there were still too many errors. With \
the current version, the speed and accuracy are completely unbelievable; it's like \
magic. I only had to perform a small amount of training, which was very simple and \
only lasted a few minutes, after which it recognised my speech effortlessly.

This makes me rethink how I use the iPad in the sense that instead of using \
handwriting recognition, I could easily write in an application such as Penultimate \
(which is like a sketchbook) and then simply speak my notes into the Mac in whatever \
application I want to use and it would be faster and more accurate than practically \
anything else. I could embellish and expand on the notes I had made with very little \
extra effort.

This kind of solution works very well for me because I work in a quiet environment, \
so it may not be for everyone. What it does show is that the introduction of \
technologies such as Siri will make the interactions we used to have with computers \
less and less frequent. The Newton led the way in translating the analogue world into \
the computer and now developments like these are pushing it further.

This message was created entirely with speech recognition.

Joel.