List:       newtontalk
Subject:    Re: [NTLK] How important is the Battery's temperature switch
From:       "Forrest Buffenmyer" <newtonphoenix () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2010-11-06 7:25:00

On Thursday, November 4, 2010 at 8:01 am Andrei Chichak wrote:

> The temperature sensor is used during the charging process. NiMH batteries are \
> charged until they start to heat up, then they are full. The temperature probe \
> tells the Newt the temperature so that it can haul down the charge current so the \
> batteries don't boil and rupture. This is the little black matchhead looking thing. \
>
> The yellow piece of paper looking thing is a resettable fuse, if the pack either \
> draws too much current charging or is called upon to provide too much current while \
> running (Newt screwup or accidental short), the fuse (polyswitch) will open up and \
> stay open until the fault is removed.
> Are they important? The lack of a temperature sensor will either tell the Newt that \
> the pack is always cold (and the pack will be overcharged) or hot (and the pack \
> will never be charged). The lack of the polyswitch is a little less critical, you \
> don't need it until you do.
> Andrei
>

> On 2010-November-04, at 2:53 AM, Tim Kaluza wrote:
>
> > Hi there!
> >
> > I did do a Batterie replacement, made something wrong and put it now the right \
> > way in it. But I forgot to use the temperature switch. Well I wanted to forget \
> > it, because I'm not sure about it working the right way it should.  I got some \
> > quite good Sanyo rechargeable batteries in the unit.  What do you think? Should I \
> > reopen it and fix it? How much can 100mA do to my Newton? ^^.  Right now it is \
> > running in a old test unit quite well.

I honestly don't know how you got it to work AT ALL with either or both of those \
parts missing. Due mostly to damage, I've tried leaving them off (both or either \
one), and had nothing.

Thanks,
--Forrest
--
"Newton, come here...I need you." --Alexander MessagePad Bell
(Sent wirelessly from my NT MP2100 using Mail V)