List:       newtontalk
Subject:    Re: [NTLK] Newton History
From:       Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants () yahoo ! ca>
Date:       2009-02-21 20:43:28

Joel:

I agree.  Predicting what you want based on context is laudable and probably what \
most people want and associate with AI (of course some sort of intelligent Agent to \
go with it).  As you say, though, it's the subtle things, the day-to-day things, \
that, if a computer can automate, make all the difference between tedious repetition \
and freedom.

I have been exploring Automator and Applescript, which can sort of emulate AI.  But \
with my limited time, and the fact that I am just mentally washed on the weekends, I \
don't have much energy to devote to these two pieces of tech.  Although I have made \
some nifty Automator scripts.  But both of these things will not really enable your \
computer to learn anything, they are rudimentary applications that allow one to make \
workflows and automate things that at best work in very limited ways, although \
Applescript is much more powerful than Automator.

But ya, why can't OS X, for instance, realize that every time I make a folder \
beginning in:

PO | PRJ

I initiate the same or similar series of actions each and every time.  And then, take \
this knowledge and just automate it for me.  There could be a switch in system \
preferences to turn AI on or off, and when on, it will automate these actions for the \
user: it will automate based on what it has learned the user does.  Even when turned \
off, the AI would be learning your workflows.  So you would have to break your \
computer in for a while, but after some time, all that repetition should be \
completely gone.

If there are some subtle differences in the actions you take in relation to a \
particular workflow, it could automatically display a pop up menu at the right time \
giving you choices in the workflow...

What do programmers call this approach?  GTD approach?  Workflow approach?   AI \
approach?  Is this even a known approach?

Ryan