List:       newtontalk
Subject:    Re: [NTLK] [OT] iPod was from DEC, Palo Alto
From:       Andrei Chichak <newton () chichak ! ca>
Date:       2006-12-30 17:39:43

On 12/30/2006 10:10:19 AM, Keith Johnson (slowendmac@comcast.net) wrote:
 > On Dec 30, 2006, at 8:43 AM, John wrote:
 > > The iPod project had to be so secret it was named the P-68 for project
 > > 68.   Another project was code-named "Sagan" as in Carl.  Carl
 > > supposedly threatened or actually sued Apple for using his name!
 > > As a
 > > backhanded coy rename of the Sagan project as "BHA" it's rumored that
 > > BHA stood for Butt-Head Astronomer, LOL.  No disrespect intended.
 > >

 > According to several Apple history sites, the "Sagan" and "BHA" names
 > were for the Power Mac 7100.

When Apple converted over from Motorola 680X0 processors to the
PowerPC chips, they came out with three new machines; a pizza box
(6100), a desktop box (7100), and a tower (8100). The codenames given
to these three were the great frauds of science PDM (Piltdown Man),
Carl Sagan, and Cold Fusion respectively.

I got to try out a Carl Sagan and stole the name sticker off of the
shipping box.

As for Compaq and HP not "getting it", wasn't Woz working for
HP  when the Apple I was put together? They didn't get it.

Andrei