List:       netsukuku
Subject:    Re: [Netsukuku] mesh network ?
From:       "ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto)" <zioproto () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-22 17:23:57

> 1) I didn't know that the common mesh network protocols identificate a
> gateway, building a Spanning Tree (I imagine their gateway is the tree root)
> while NetSuKuKu does NOT. This is the MOST important difference, to me.

Of course. This is because in the case of the Mesh you need an
Internet gateway. In the case of Netsukuku you _are_ part of the
network, so there is not the concept of a gateway towards another
network.

> 2) I didn't know that Wireless Mesh Networks use standard IP protocol as
> network layer. So, I could say they'e the equivalent of the ethernet ?

If you mean that deploy a wireless mesh network in a neighbourhood is
the same as passing cables to build a big LAN, yes it is pretty much
like that.

> 3) I didn't know that the TCP/IP is a different stack and it's NOT included
> in the systems defined by the ISO/OSI stack.

I don't understand what you mean here :(

> I was trying to leverage the knowledge that the general audience gained
> about p2p systems, such as BitTorrent, eMule and others.

Most p2p systems are not *really* distributed. Torrent relies on the
"tracker" that is a Single Point of Failure. eMule relies on central
ed2k servers... and so on.
Only DHT based p2p systems are really distributed, even if they rely
on bootstrap nodes.

You have to be careful because wrong analogies tend to confuse people.

See you in Tor Vergata if you pass by :)

Saverio