List:       netsaintplug-devel
Subject:    Re: [Netsaintplug-devel] Re: netsaint check_http patch
From:       Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop () range ! infoplease ! com>
Date:       2001-08-01 14:51:28

Nicholas Tang wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Karl DeBisschop wrote:
>
> > In any case, it DOES break the standard. It would be fully appropriate
> > for a hacking tool, but we are not a hacking tool. So I do like to
> > give people a chance to air their views on things before including
> > that kind of change.
>
> I think that's actually debateable.

<snip>

> Letting the User-Agent be set via either a compile-time option or even
> better a run-time flag seems utterly harmless to me and well within the
> bounds of what the relevant rfc allows.

I was unclear. What i was trying to suggest is that outright lying about what agent \
you are is less than desirable behaviour for most apps. As you point out, modifiers \
are perfectly fine.

Also, I was trying to convey that, as a diagnostic tool, it is actually useful for \
check_http to have the ability to outright lie, in addition to simply modifying.

In any case, there seems at present to be no dissent to the idea that the patch \
should be applied.

--
Karl