List:       netsaintplug-devel
Subject:    [Netsaintplug-devel] Call for testing
From:       Karl DeBisschop <karl () debisschop ! net>
Date:       2001-04-14 13:43:19

As some may remember, it was recently pointed out that the original
plugins standard of returning negative error codes for unknown states is
not POSIX compliant. In particular, it can break FreeBSD.

In release 1.3.x, POSIX-compliant release codes will be default. And
they are supported by the current NetSaint 0.0.b beta.

Unfortunately, fixing the plugins and retaining reverse compatibility is
not as easy. In 1.2.9-3, we provided the configure option
'with-posix-state-defs' to use POSIXly correct return codes. And serious
bugs were found.

I think they nay all be fixed in the current snapshots, at:

	ftp://netsaintplug.sourceforge.net/pub/netsaintplug/
	http://www.debisschop.net/src/netsaint/

But I would like to have some other testing before I release 1.2.9-4.

So if you can, PLEASE try and find a few moments to test the plugin
snapshots in their various configurations (without POSIX return codes in
NetSaint 0.0.6, and with POSIX return codes in Netsaint 0.0.7 current
beta).

If I get test reports back, and there are no problems, we should be able
to ship 1.2.9-4 with all it's bug fixes.

Obviously, if I get no test reports, I will need to do much more testing
myself, and release will take that much longer.

(I think our Sloaris build problems are resolved. You may still need
gmake, but I don't think it fails to build or run any more. But in
addition to FreeBSD and OpenBSD, Solaris testers are particularly
encouraged to try out the snapshot)

Thanks.

--
Karl