List:       netsaintplug-devel
Subject:    [Netsaintplug-devel] check_nmap version 1.16
From:       Jacob Lundqvist <jaclu () galdrion ! com>
Date:       2000-07-14 14:30:18

Hi,
I have been doing a lot of debugging, so now I belive that check_nmap
could be considered rather stable.

The latest version can be found here:
http://mooner.galdrion.com/check_nmap/

Changes include:

Error handling: I have tried to abuse check_map in every possible way I
could imagine, including low-memory & extreame load situations.

Moduarity: I moved everything to classes

Compatiblity: I have tried to folow the plugin developer-guidelines as
closely as possible.

I have added a some new features:
1. Port-Ranges
It is now possible to send port ranges to nmap

2. Optional ports
Ports defined as optional, can be open or closed, that is they are not
realy checked.

At first you might think they are the same as doing a nmap port range
excluding some ports, but that is not really the case.
If you try for instance the port range -79,81-
That is not the same as marking port 80 optional
As quoted from the nmap man-page:
"The default is to scan all ports between 1 and 1024 as well as any
ports listed in the services file which comes with nmap."

In other words: -79,81- checks for all 65535 ports except one.

The optional ports param is mainly usefull for workstations, where you
can exclude ports like icq,napster etc, or servers that run network
services periodically, like a net-based backup system (I use Arkeia ;)

	/Jacob Lundqvist